Prove the quality of your systems...

I see a lot of people who work for DVR/DVR Card/ Software makers who claim that their cards or software are the best, have the best video quality, etc..

SO, why don't all of you (And there are a few) post some sample video clips, still shots and maybe even some screen shots of your systems. Links to demo remote viewing would be good too, but actual video clips are a much better demo (And NOT just DVD's input into the DVR, CCTV cameras).

wouldn't this challenge only apply to DVR systems in which the camera's were an integrated part? IE Came as a package deal from the manufacturer.

Otherwise wouldn't it be better to have this challenge use 3-4 "standardized" camera's and then view the results on the DVR to see how it copes with different qualities and levels of camera's? Then you could rate results based on camera used for a better realistic score.

It seems like without a few simple guidelines it could quickly turn into a contest of budgets

I guess I could hang that $20 e-bay "Night Vision" camera outside my apartment and let you all log into it and watch the cats fight. Be good for a laugh anyways

I don't agree. A $1000 camera on a crappy DVR is still going to look crappy. A cheaper camera on a good DVR can still look good. Plus people could just post the type of camera that they are using so we are aware.

My thing is you rarely get to see recorded video from a standard CCTV camera on a DVR system. It's a great judge of quality but is hard to find for certain DVR's. remote view is no indication of recorded quality and in the end that is the most important factor.

Obviously an IP megapixel camera, but that is an amazing picture! Imagine if we could get pictures like that on standard digital systems. So just for informational purposes, what does a camera/DVR with this type of res apx wholsale at? I know the price could range a lot, I am just looking for apx.

is that really CCTV though?

In other words, i dont think its closed circuit at that point .. VGA or LAN input to the PC right? Looks good though, except you need to water the grass

how does it go with a car zooming past -to get the Number plate and driver

oh and read the time on his watch....

z

I see a lot of people who work for DVR/DVR Card/ Software makers who claim that their cards or software are the best, have the best video quality, etc..

SO, why don't all of you (And there are a few) post some sample video clips, still shots and maybe even some screen shots of your systems. Links to demo remote viewing would be good too, but actual video clips are a much better demo (And NOT just DVD's input into the DVR, CCTV cameras).

I agree, there is nothing stopping them from buying some common professional high res cameras, examples being:

Pano Day / Night WDR box Camera

Bosch Night Sense box Camera

GE 815C Color box Camera

GE B/W VFA Vandal Dome camera

Sanyo Pan Focus Day/Night Vandal Dome Camera

Extreme CCTV EX-82 Day / Night IR Camera

Day / Night PTZ (pick your brand)

Extreme CCTV Reg-L Camera

(they wont want Exview as it will cause to much noise for the demos)

Though all they really need are some indoor box cameras to demo.

Other than those professional cameras for the best quality from CCTV, at very low cost could also be these:

1-Fixed 3.6mm 1/3" B/W Bullet Camera - typically 380-420TVL

2-Fixed 4.0mm 1/3" / 3.6mm 1/4" Color Bullet Camera - typically 380TVL

3-Fixed 6mm 1/3" Color/IR Bullet Camera - typically 380-420TVL

4-VFA 4-8mm 1/3" Day/Night IR Bullet Camera - typically 480TVL with IRCF

is that really CCTV though?

In other words, i dont think its closed circuit at that point .. VGA or LAN input to the PC right? Looks good though, except you need to water the grass

Debatable I guess, it is open to attacks similar to analog cameras. example BNC "T" inline. However they run on a dedicated network, only the NVR is allowed access to that quality. If you are outside the CCTV subnet you must use the NVR interface to view the feeds and it will be at a radically reduced quality. Base100 supports about 3 of these badboys so forget about remote viewing this stuff.

how does it go with a car zooming past -to get the Number plate and driver

oh and read the time on his watch....

z

In which lane?

Debatable I guess, it is open to attacks similar to analog cameras.

Yeah, not debating the security issue, anything can easily be taken down with a paint gun, huge surge or other means .. but while Id still call that Video Surveillance, I wouldnt quite consider it CCTV myself.

If anyone's really interested I can set-up a zone-minder box to record the cats in the alley-way and let you all log into it and watch recorded videos and play with settings and alarms and what-not.

Keep in mind it would comprise of a $20 IR Night-Vision e-bay camera, $10 capture card, and $100 computer. Not much of a demo system

If there is enough interest I will spend a few bucks and put a good setup on it.

If anyone's really interested I can set-up a zone-minder box to record the cats in the alley-way and let you all log into it and watch recorded videos and play with settings and alarms and what-not.

Keep in mind it would comprise of a $20 IR Night-Vision e-bay camera, $10 capture card, and $100 computer. Not much of a demo system

If there is enough interest I will spend a few bucks and put a good setup on it.

I could use some of those down here to sell

I wouldn't want to sell a configuration like that. Unless someone wanted a $200 single-channel DVR, and wasn't a stickler on little things like QoS, uptime, data-redundancy, or quality hardware

If you know of such a market, let's talk. There is some fleecing to be had.

This weekend i'll put the camera outside and post the link here so you can all watch the alleycats. Maybe I can find out which one is always meowing at 5am in the morning.

I wouldn't want to sell a configuration like that. Unless someone wanted a $200 single-channel DVR, and wasn't a stickler on little things like QoS, uptime, data-redundancy, or quality hardware

If you know of such a market, let's talk. There is some fleecing to be had.

This weekend i'll put the camera outside and post the link here so you can all watch the alleycats. Maybe I can find out which one is always meowing at 5am in the morning.

Well people will care about uptime ofcourse, they dont want the DVR crashing all the time, but other than that QoS and the others are of no use to the majority, not in a budget market that is. You'd be lucky if they even have an internet connection, let alone care how much bandwidth they video will take up on the rare occasion they actually use the remote video feature.

Ps. its the ghetto market mostly ... but will pretty much be the same for the many other budget residential and retail installs.