sick of my neighbor

Got illegal action on tape

OK...the video will not lie. I have a Q-See with hard drive, but have a wireless Swann hooked up.

Yesterday, my neighbor took a plastic trash can and shoved it into the side of my car. I saw it from inside my house. I don't know how to get it from the HD on my Q-See monitor to a DVD.

Do I need to bring the monitor somewhere to have it transferred or can I do this on my Mac or PC?

Thank you.

In cases like this, where there is an older DVR, or one which does not have a video output other than a normal 75 ohm output, I use my Plextor Hardware encoder and my laptop. You would need to take the video output , directly from the DVR, and instead of going into your monitor (TV?) go into this type of hardware encoder, then directly into a laptop or PC. It is saved onto the hard drive in whatever format you choose, Video CD, DVD, Super Video CD, etc. I use my Plextor all the time, you might want to check it out at Tigerdirect, etc. It fits in the palm of my hand. Good luck

In cases like this, where there is an older DVR, or one which does not have a video output other than a normal 75 ohm output, I use my Plextor Hardware encoder and my laptop. You would need to take the video output , directly from the DVR, and instead of going into your monitor (TV?) go into this type of hardware encoder, then directly into a laptop or PC. It is saved onto the hard drive in whatever format you choose, Video CD, DVD, Super Video CD, etc. I use my Plextor all the time, you might want to check it out at Tigerdirect, etc. It fits in the palm of my hand. Good luck

I get 'evidence' from my DVR by playing it into a TV tuner card (Any computer store has these) conencted to my computer, and then the resulting file can be burned to a DVD.

I occasionally go through the motions of copying video from the DVR to a DVD just so that I know how to do it and am well practiced if I ever need to do it for real. My DVR only stores a few days of video and I can't afford to spend a day or two figuring it out.

For right now I suggest you hook up a VCR or a camcorder to the DVR and save your evidence now before you lose it.

Once you save it, post it so we can take a look. You'll often find that when an impartial person views a video they will have a different opinion about what it shows. You may know that the act was intentional based upon your knowledge of this man - but we don't know him and we may see the video and consider it to have been an accident. Or we may think that the evidence is not clear enough to convince an impartial person.

A few months ago my video system caught our mailman urinating on my house. I showed the video to several people without giving my opinion fisrt. Only when the first 6 or 7 people who saw the video said; "He's taking a leak on your house!!" did I consider the video good enought o approch the postmaster with.

I'm just saying - before you call in the police and the lawyers you have to make sure the video is good enough to do what you are trying to do - charge him with a crime, convince a judge to issue a TRO etc. If you kick up a big stink and then everyone else who sees the video says; "This isn't clear enough to prove anything" then not only will you not get what you want, but you'll also let him know you have cameras and where they are pointed and what quality the image is etc...

So you haven't said anything to the mailman yet Scruit? I saw your video, that was BS.

If nothing else, confront him with it and just politely say you don't appriciate people urinating on your personal property. Just the fact that you know will stun him. Then if he tries to give lip or deny it, point up at your camera.

So you haven't said anything to the mailman yet Scruit? I saw your video, that was BS.

If nothing else, confront him with it and just politely say you don't appriciate people urinating on your personal property. Just the fact that you know will stun him. Then if he tries to give lip or deny it, point up at your camera.

I talked to a few people about it and spent a few hours mulling it over. Then I went outside with a hose and scrubbing brush and bleach and cleaned the brick/cement and garage door at 10pm in the Ohio winter (about 20deg F that night) and that made my mind up to speak with the postmaster. My toddler plays right there...

The postmaster took the video and ran with it, very proactive. They got me a new mailman the next day and fired the Peeing Postman after a Postal Inspector investigation upheld my video.

I talked to a few people about it and spent a few hours mulling it over. Then I went outside with a hose and scrubbing brush and bleach and cleaned the brick/cement and garage door at 10pm in the Ohio winter (about 20deg F that night) and that made my mind up to speak with the postmaster. My toddler plays right there...

The postmaster took the video and ran with it, very proactive. They got me a new mailman the next day and fired the Peeing Postman after a Postal Inspector investigation upheld my video.

Atta boy Scruit, that makes me happy to hear.

I've been lurking around here on the forum and ran across your old thread with the video of that event. I almost registered just to post on that old thread to reply to the guy telling you to leave it alone and delete your video in fear of reprocussion from the Postal Service. That was BS. A Federal employee pisses on your property and you should be worried of getting in trouble? Pssshhhhhh

Anyway, good job on doing the right thing. That is why you have your house secured.

Yeah, without the video I would not have known.

And it's not like it was a hidden camera or anything... While he was doing the deed there was my license plate camera just 3 feet directly above his head (with a zoom lens the size of a beer can)... He just didn't see it.

What's worse is the last time he delivered to my house I thought he was taking a leak too, but I had no sound back then and the video was not good enough to prove anything. Which goes back to my point to the OP - make sure your video will convince an impartial person before you play your hand.

Not only the wide open camera in his direct view, but the fact that there is a car parked there. I couldn't imagine someone doing something like that unless he was POSITIVE nobody was home. Even if that car is there, everyday, in the same spot, it still should have thrown up a red flag to him.

My Plextor Hardware encoder, like I said, will fit in the palm of my hand. USB into either my laptop, or PC. So I can take it with me anywhere. Will take RCA or S-video inputs. It is a Hardware Encoder, which I like that fact. Using the software that comes with it, someone can save the video to over a dozen formats. Mpeg4,Mpeg2,Divx. Several levels of each format. I can then make a Video CD or DVD by just "dragging and dropping" from a list of video files. I actually took all of my home movies (VHS and 8mm) and saved them this way, but I used the DIVX format when I saved them and put them onto DVD. I also started saving all my old VHS movies to this format, onto an external hard drive, then into DVD format. They actually come out pretty well, especially coming off a 20 Y. O. VHS tape.