Sign in to follow this  
studs

Kalatel Cyberdome losing focus

Hey everybody new guy here, just found the site. We install mostly Pelco cams but recently have been starting to service Kalatel equipment. I have a customer that has a PTZ that continually loses focus. It is running a tour and the only way to resolve the problem is to reboot the camera. Although it works it only lasts a day, seems like it loses calibration or something. There are approx 5 on site and two are beginning to do this. I tried doing a different shadow tour without altering the zoom but it did not help at all. I heard this is a common problem with the kalatels just wanted to see if anyone here has the same problem, or maybe has some info on what does it so I don't have to tell my customer tommorrow I don't know why it's losing focus. Thanks in advance,

-studs

Hard to give a definite answer on this one...but I seem to recall that when you enter the OSD menu of a CyberDome there is an option there for an auto-recalibrate period. Check if that's configured....it may explain why rebooting the cameras seems to solve the problem temporarily.

From our experience, if you already visited the programming and in order to have to autofocus to come back, then chances are very good that the circuitry that controls the autofocus near the lens is going out.... This is mostly caused by SMT caps that the circuitry contains.. Unless you know how to take this pup apart, take the circuit board out, replace all the SMT capt, my suggestion is to verify if this dome is under warranty and if so, arrange GE to take care of it... otherwise, you have other choices... GE can have this pup repaired and dependent how old it is, it may be worth to have them to repair it (such repair will come with 90 days warranty) or you can take it to a shooting range and have a blast with it 7mm bolt action rifle normally works great...

We have not had many problems with GE domes, but after all it is electronics.. and it is alway WHEN and not IF they will fail...

Good luck to you and let us know what happens.

I have seen this when the camera is reaching the durability range of the auto focus motor. a common spec is 500k cycles. it may be time to get the camera serviced