Here2BeBad

Looking for some recommendations...

I just want to start off by saying that I've been viewing the site for a few weeks and it seems like the place to be for CCTV information. I registered today and this is the first post... so be nice..!

To start off I'm a Enterprise Computer/Network consultant so I'm pretty abreast of the computer side of things. My questions are more around the Camera, cabling recommendations.

The system I'm designing is for Home use only to monitor the front & back of the house. For now just a two camera setup would work fine with the intent of expanding to other cameras at a later time. The movement around the back back of the house is minimal. The movement at the front of the house is also light (i.e. a car going up the street now and then, people walking the dogs, etc..) i recently had some people swimming in my pool while I was away as well as some kids tamporing with my car in the driveway.

The system is a PC based system using a GV-800-8 DVR card. I would like to hear some recommendations for a good quality Day/night outdoor camera as well as the cables. I see that some people have the seperate power supplies, while other have the "combo" type of cable with the power built in. Also, since I have not purchased the GV-800 card yet, if anyone could recommend a place that sells them cheap that would be great too.

Thank you for having me on the site and I look forward to speaking with you...

Rick

camera recommendations....search the forum and read more. many camera to buy and try. you need to understand the specs and the crapy sales techniques out there BEFORE you go shoping. also ask to see a live demo of the camera.

GV pricing? search and you will find

power......siamese with 95% braided solid core is the best RG cable and POE via CAT5. powering at the camera only required if distance becomes a power issue.

powersupply..get a PTC type, auto- reseting fuses

try to plan camera install around AC motion lighting.....works and is simple to maintain

if your a geek your "office" is already a PC parts shop. make sure you organize with expansion and geek'n in mind. and also make sure you have enough AC available.

I have the cables coming into the room via the corner or the room behind the door (not down the inside of the wall becasue I'm always changing/testing something). Power supply is high enough for me to look in it and work on it. DVR is up high and out of my way. Plugs? I got too many but thats the nature of the beast. Battery back-up.APC with 2 1000kva towers. I basically took a 2 x2 ft. piece of 3/4 inch plywood and mounted that behind the door. on that I have the power supply with a shelf above it for the POE switch. I also do the PTZ wiring on this board.

my next house will have a 19" rack and all the toys will fit very nicely!

Thank you for the feedback. I will continue to search and do my research on the board. Is there a quality company "online" that you would recommend and trust to purchase from..??

Also, there are some detailed information that I forgot to mention about the camera that you pointed out. The camera in the back of the house will be in complete darkness at night. I'm looking to fabricate a bracket and mount the bullet camera right under the flood-lights that I have at each corner of the house. With that said, I was going to run the Camera cable thru the same hole as the electric wire goes in to feed the lights. DO you foresee this being an issue..?? I'm assuming someone has done this.

Thanks again and please keep the recommendations coming...

I purchase most of mine directly via importers. If I have to buy from a dealer I use recommended over selecting. If I can't get a recommendation I buy and try. Yes, I have a few extra cameras lying around but the biz requires testing these things every now and then.

look for a 2 or 3 year camera warranty. I have a 2 year. don't waste your money on 1 year. also remember that IR bulets are spec'd at 2 ta 3 times the actual IR range. ie. spec'd at 240ft. really means it only does 80ft. at best. Only extreme IR performs as sold.

you may want Digital Signal Reduction? Noise Reduction? IR Cut Fiter? all these add to the cost. I've seen 65 dollar IR's out perform 350 dollar speco's.it's all about learning and understanding what your buying before you buy.

If I had to buy off the cuff I'd go with AvySys or CCTVone to start.

funny thing about AC and video noise is that when you avoid it you sometimes still get the noise, and when you don't care you end up ok.sometimes.

AC causes video noise via inductance of the electrical field AC produces. The industry practice is to avoid 1ft. to ensure no problems. I'd drill another hole.

Lights.make sure you test the effects of your camera position and lights at night BEFORE you secure it down as the light may have a negative effect on the pic.glare is a killer. away and behind is always good, or just go out at night and find the darkest point behind the light that offers you the pic you want.