LPDetective

Time Lapse VCR Problems

I am a Loss Prevention Detective, though I am not at liberty to disclose where I work.

We are currently having playback problems with our Time Lapse VCR. Our CCTV system is out dated, but we have managed to work successfully with it for several years.

We recently added a multiplexer (MV99p Multivision PRO) and a Time Lapse VCR (Sensormatic RV2400) to set-up to reduce the number of VCRs and tapes we use. The system is used and was procurred from another store. We have seven stationary B&W cameras hooked into the multiplexer and the Time Lapse VCR is recording device for it. Because of the Time Lapse VCR, whenever we need to review any footage of from this set-up, we must use the Time Lapse VCR for playback.

Now, the problem: When we review our VCR footage, the Time Lapse VCR is not giving us playback. Upon inspection, it was revealed that the system is recording, and we can view playback on the settings L06, L12, and L24. (We record on the setting L24 to get 24 hour footage from each T-120 tape... or 34 hours from a T-160.) However, through the use of the Multiplexer, we can view all 7 at once, or an individual camera, and when we view an individual camera the playback is further restricted to L12 and L24.

This system was installed by me in early June and we have not had any problems. This current issue began Friday, August 17th to our knowledge. We have not yet checked through older tapes to see if it was a problem before then but we are checking it. Incidently, Friday we had a power surge cause our whole CCTV system to blink out for a brief instant. Two more surges occured on Saturday, the following day.

We have checked and all of the system's plugs and cords are securely installed, but we have not performed a master reset yet. We do plan to do this, after having read a few other help requests on this and other sites, but if that does not help, can anyone here help?

Sounds like you need to update your system VHS is a thing of the past with security dealers and wholesalers no longer stocking these or parts. Multiplexers are also on the thin list and way over priced they cost as much as entry level dvr's. A good triplex dvr will let you view and record at the sametime and save to cd. You also need to check your local state laws on cctv license as you may be required to become licensed to install new or replace old equipment plus the personal privency laws that me or may not be broken that you could be held liable for.

Agreed, VHS is quite old tech now, a good dvr would be a big boost...

Im a little confused as to what the problem is, are you saying it only works when you play the footage back through the multiplexer? If so, thats correct, as its multiplexed, and without the multiplexer would only show a a blur as it shows each camera shot in turn... As you can see all 7 cams through the multiplexer, and pick one to view full screen, that seems normal, is there another problem Im not understanding?

Sounds like you need to update your system VHS is a thing of the past with security dealers and wholesalers no longer stocking these or parts. Multiplexers are also on the thin list and way over priced they cost as much as entry level dvr's. A good triplex dvr will let you view and record at the sametime and save to cd. You also need to check your local state laws on cctv license as you may be required to become licensed to install new or replace old equipment plus the personal privency laws that me or may not be broken that you could be held liable for.

Legality and licensing are not the issue here. There is no concern for the legality of the situation. The work that I(we) and my team is within our legal ability.

Agreed, VHS is quite old tech now, a good dvr would be a big boost...

Im a little confused as to what the problem is, are you saying it only works when you play the footage back through the multiplexer? If so, thats correct, as its multiplexed, and without the multiplexer would only show a a blur as it shows each camera shot in turn... As you can see all 7 cams through the multiplexer, and pick one to view full screen, that seems normal, is there another problem Im not understanding?

As much as a new system would be nice, and yes I(we) are aware that digital is better, that is not an option as it is not our decision to make. Management decides what we have access to and when we upgrade.

Anyways, the multiplexer is not the problem either. I(we) know that it must be used for playback and the reasons why. Likewise, I(we) know that the Time Lapse VCR must be used for playback and we recognize the reasons why. The problem is that the video during playback is complete static, and after manually adjusting Tracking, V-Lock, and Time Mode, we are able to view the image(s) but with reduced options. Normally we have access to 4 Time Mode options (L02, L06, L12, and L24). Normally the autotracking works, and normally the video playback appears immediately after pressing play. Now, however, the tracking and time mode need to be manually adjusted and are limited in scope, and the playback does not occur without adjusting settings on both the Multiplexer and the Time Lapse VCR. In fact, the adjustments needed have thus far been nothing but random switching between single image and multi image while reseting tracking and changing the time mode.

Could be the Mux or the VCR .. i'd lean towards the Mux, since that seems to control the VCR in this case.

Any special connections? What cable are you using, Coax or SVHS?

I feel your pain, I'm also in LP, and I know how hard it can be getting what you need and want from higher.

My solution has been Ebay. I've found quite a bit of great gear for dirt cheap. Yes, it's a gamble. But if nothing else, I've been able to use PTZ parts to swap and repair other broken PTZs.

Present your higher with the problem "the mux is shot, so I can't complete my mission as Loss Prevention. A new one is $xxx.xx, a digital system is $xxxx.xx, I know these are out of the picture, but how about a replacement from ebay at $xx.xx?" PM me and I'll give you the name of the seller I bought my color 16 channel MUX from for $20. Works great!, and they has more last I checked.

Not sure what the problem might be. I'd try unplugging the MUX and letting it sit for a day, then re-apply power. Also, like you said, a hard reset if that option is in the menu fuctions. Good luck.

Have you tried cleaning the heads on the VCR? Try adjusting the tracking if you have manual control. Also check your tapes for linear creases near the top and bottom. They would indicate problems with the capstan/pinch roller or the guides. Also, make sure the multiplexer is properly set for the correct VCR model and recording speed.

Multiplexers need to see a good clean signal from VCR's, especially in the vertical blanking interval (the black horizontal bar between frames that you sometimes see "rolling" vertically on bad tapes). They store information used to determine which channel was recorded on each frame in that area. If the VCR signal drops out near the head switching interval (also located in that same blanking area), which is very common, the multiplexer will not be able to determine which frame is which camera. Therefore it won't play back.

If there are no creases in the tapes and cleaning doesn't help, hook up a single camera to the VCR and record and play back the picture in the mode you normally use. If the playback has a lot of black or white streaks in the picture or the picture jumps a lot, you may have to replace the video heads on the VCR.

If no joy with cleaned heads, new tapes and a different mux, it may be possible you need to have the VCR serviced, heads and belts replaced.

The timelapse VCR heads come under a lot more punishment than on a standard DVR and will need replacing at some point.

I picked up the same mux you have for about 50 pounds on ebay a year or two ago, so probably even cheaper now. Timelapse VCR's are very cheap on ebay...

It is your VCR for sure. The MV99P-30 series of multiplexers for what they are, are the best in the industry. If they go bad you would not have any video at all or there would be bigger problems. All of the symptoms you describe are issues with the tape and VCR. Also if you record with a multiplexer, you are encoding the video to the tape so you must decode or playback via the mux as well.

Generally the VCR is the culprit 99.9% of the time. VHS tapes need to be thrown away every 7 to 10 uses. That means if you use the same tapes to save 30 days of video on that you should throw them away every 6 or 8 months. The quality of the tapes can have effect on the heads and the functionality of the machines. Charlie Pierce with LRC Electronics has written books and produced video training on this very issue.

VHS systems are generally undermined by maintenance and lack of understanding. The bottom line is that your system is out dated and the more cash you spend tape the more risk your company takes by not being in the current technology trend for security.

Good Luck!

I(we) have received a lot of help here, thanks.

We are looking into both getting the heads cleaned as well as using newer tapes. It is true that we only save the tapes for thirty days and have been recycling them for over two years now. We have never encountered any problems with that tapes on the standard VCRs we use, but if the Time Lapse VCR is more demanding on the hardware then it makes sense that our tapes could be the problem.