RhysG

4 Cameras To PC - System Design Help Please

Hi, I'm new to this whole concept personally and was looking into this particular package (which gives the ability to add 4 cameras, record to HDD, send snapshots, audio files, live playback etc to mobiles/security companies etc (which will soon become available in Australia if I understand correctly).

However, I'm stuck on the logistical element of the setup:

What is the ideal range of cameras to use?

Wireless/wired?

If wired, how do I rout the cables properly?

Can the wires be routed to a wireless point, and then transmitted to PC?

Given it's on 2.4 GHz band, will this just cause too much interference?

Do I just need a Wireless card and Capture card, not a wireless router?

Your help and experience is needed and appreciated.

Cheers,

Rhys

I held back from answering you as I am not in your country.

My advice is to avoid using wireless. At least on the cheap end. To do it right is very expensive. I use wireless as a solution provider to a problem, but I prefer run wires when I can.

I do not know the construction of your building. I am used to the buildings here in the USA that use drywall, and they have attics where I can run my wires.

I have never done a brick building so I could not give advice there.

The Ideal range of cameras? Use the most expensive that you can afford.

You can use a more expensive camera for the very most important spot, and you can save a little on the spot that may not require as much importance.

For instance. On a 16 camera system in a bar, I want the best camera at the front door, and the back door, and where ever they count the money.

I can use really cheap stuff where the pool tables are, and I can use mid priced stuff elsewhere. If it has to be really cheap I have even use 1 inch by 1 inch mini cameras attached to the support of the false ceilings.

Spend as much as you can. You may not need it now, but there will come a day that you wished you had.

To route the cables you will have to describe your building, and your construction type. If I cannot help you then I would refer you to someone who can.

Can the wires be routed to a wireless point, and then transmitted to PC?

Yes. You will need to run the camera video to an encoder then hook it up to your wifi access point.

Given it's on 2.4 GHz band, will this just cause too much interference?

Yes if it is a regular wireless analog signal such as a wireless camera with the transmitter built in. If you have the camera hooked up to an encoder, and this hooked up to a wifi access point then you are using it in a way that will not interfere with the computer's signal as you are on the same path.

They can cohabitate but this means some isolation is required. Such as the camera wireless system on one side of a building, and the 802.11 on the opposite side of the building. You will then have to experiment to reduce the interference.