peten2359

8Ch Dvr for Self Storage System

What should I expect to pay for a decent 8ch DVR for self storage with the following features?

1) 8ch

2) motion detect with mask

3) remote viewing

4) remote viewing client, ie I can upload files and view them at home

5) All functions work simutaneously

Also, seems like 8ch cost 3x as much as 4ch is this right or am I looking in wrong place?

Also any recommendations?

Note: I have a 16ch PC system for another system, and prefer to stay away because of maintenance issues, I'm a pc geek but need to push a button and have it work, makes my life easier.

Look into the manufacturers CMS applications (Central monitoring system).

From my research, many companies that produce a 4 ch DVR also produce a CMS application.

This allows you to log on and control several dvr´s as if they were one.

ie, I was going to stack 2 Avermedia 1304net and use their CMS3000 softwear.

No motion masking in this unit though. Avermedia only have motion masking on their PC cards and embedded models.

From practice, I can connect to 16 cameras over 16 different DVR's with the basic Geovision softwear.

I should really use their CMS application, just never got round to installing it.

Prices are to variable. It is like buying a car. You have your entry level ones, and then you have the cadillacs that have "leather seats, electric locks, electric windows, and so forth.

I would suggest that you purchase from a security company that specializes in CCTV. You will pay more than if you found it on your own.

The payback will be more than worth it. If you have a problem you can go to them for support. A year down the road when you have lost your manual, and you need to access your video, and you have forgotten how to navigate through your menu, then they will be able to help you through.

If you get a DVR product directly on your own, then you have become your own tech support.

The first question to ask yourself is how long of a warranty will you want?

This will dictate the price, and narrow down your choices.

Ebay can be your choice if price is of the essence, but you may want to read through the threads, and read on the people who have come away with a very bad taste in their mouth from such purchases.

It would not suprise me if you pay in the $1200.00 to $2000.00 price range.

Beware of your options. Read very carefully. You may be buying a DVR at a good price, but it may not come with a Hard Drive. You will then end up with additional purchases that you did not anticipate.

If it is to cheap to believe then I would avoid such a purchase.

I would highly recommend puchasing a system from the banner advertisers that belong to the forum. I am not talking about the google supported ads.

You will not want to purchase from our company. We tend to be a little more expensive than our competitors, but we provide more tech support, and services than any of our competitors.

If you use the remote feature, and quality of the picture is of the essence then look for the H.264 compression. These models are more expensive, but worth it for over the net video.

Look for at least a 250 GB hard drive. Most entry level priced DVR will have an 80 GB hard drive.

Some models will have the same specs, but one will not have the internet feature for remote viewing.

Scorpion

If you use the remote feature, and quality of the picture is of the essence then look for the H.264 compression.

Thats a really good point.

Live remote viewing H.264 is at least double the speed of other compressions.

I record in D1 MPEG4 for quality, and remote view with H.264 for faster frame rate.

If you use the remote feature, and quality of the picture is of the essence then look for the H.264 compression.

Thats a really good point.

Live remote viewing H.264 is at least double the speed of other compressions.

I record in D1 MPEG4 for quality, and remote view with H.264 for faster frame rate.

My current pc based system has kdnet and I ended up setting the fps rate at 1/fps which seems to be fine just so the remote view is even usable. But I get the impression the compression is not good on it. As we know upload speeds over 40kbs are expensive at least for me.

Is there a system that sends less data when remote viewing. I'd be nice to scan fast and then look in detail if necessary vs watching 30 fps being uploaded.

I would suggest that you purchase from a security company that specializes in CCTV. You will pay more than if you found it on your own.

So far our quotes are coming in at $5,000 for a 8 ch system installed fairly simple no trenches etc. Does this sound reasonable to you? If not, any ideas on finding a reasonable company. This isn't rocket science just finding the right parts.

Thanks

I truely cannot say. Prices will differ in one area verses another area.

I would say this would be very reasonable if this included cameras, wiring, power supply, installation, training, warranty on equipment, warranty on installation, and the company provided tech support.

If this was the DVR by itself I would say it is on the high side.

A commercial DVR product that is heavy duty with large heat sinks to pull the heat away, and having fast processors, and a five year warranty, and with the H.264 compression would easly be in this price range by itself.

There is a very economical DVRs that has 9 channels. I install this particular DVR all of the time. It is reasonable, and it does have it's drawbacks. It does not recorded 30FPS per channel, but it is a great way to watch all 9 cameras in a multiscreen across the internet.

I love this device, and I highly recommend it, and stand by it.

There is a guy on this forum by the name of Scruit. You can PM him about this DVR. He is not to thrilled about this DVR so you can use his info to counter my info to make an informed decision. Here is a post. Scroll down and you can see Scruit's post, and if you scroll down more you can see some info that Daryl733 has posted to solve a problem with this DVR.

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=60995&highlight=#60995

I hope you enjoy that thread. If you have any questions you can post them here, or you can PM me.

This is the device that I sell, that I am talking about.

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13_776W.htm

PM me and I can give you a price on this 9 channel DVR with a 320 GB hard drive, (9) 1/4" Color Sharp CCD IR Camera. Weatherproof outdoor with 4MM lens, and 12 IR LEDs. 30 Feet IR. A multi channel power supply, and premade cables.

I can tell you how you can to install it yourself.

There are many features with the Video Server S, or the Video Server E.

If you have two individuals using remote view to watch the DVR, and you have internet phone you can activate, and talk to the other remote viewer through the Video Server S/E.

If you have speakers hooked up to your remote computer you can have a siren sound off when some one triggers the DVR (such as motion detection). This is great if noone is supposed to be in your house, and you are staying in a hotel while you are on vacation. This will put the video clips on to your desk top of your computer with an incon. If they somehow find the DVR, and take it with them you will still have the video clips to give to the police!

If you are watching your cameras over the internet, and something catches you eye you can click on a snap shot feature, or you can click on the record feature. The snap shot will put an icon on you computer's desk top, and then you can email, this "photo". The record function records from the first moment you click on it, and it records till the second time you click on it.

Here are some articles that may be of interest about system testing, and troubleshooting....

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=42

Here is an article about bring up video on a TV with a composite input.

This is a great way to save some money without having to buy an expensive monitor.....

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=41

I hope you enjoy these articles. The other Dealers on this forum would be glad to hear from you!

Scorpion

This isn't a high budget operation. I'd like buy the least expensive thing that will get the job done. I don't need high frame rates, only using 1fps now not sure why you'd need a whole lot more, 30fps is impossible to watch via internet. Just something that does what it advertises with motion detect, mask, record, remote view, remote client, simultaneously. Remote file upload is a plus but can do that with separate computer if necessary.

My system at 71.70.132.204 works great does everything I need, I could use more cams we'll get there. Spend about $1500 installed it myself not hard. It has 16ch only using 4. I have almost one years data and 36% of disk used. Not bad.

Thanks