lt1240z

Camera suggestion question high light

I inheirated a small jewelry store and I need a some cameras that are tolerant of different high lighting situations.Example floods above glass case and inerior case lighting flourescent. I currently have some kpc bullets I got 2 years back and they just don't cut it {Interior of cases get whited out}.I don't want to spend over 250 or so a cam , if I can help it . Also the different chipsets from sony Exveiw ,HAD,HQ-1 and WDR from what I have read WDR seems to be best chipset choice? I have a gv800 card if it matters . I lurked and read and researched as much as I could stand . So I hope you can make some suggestions . I was thinking the speco 6800ex or kpc wdr based cameras.

Thanks for any help,

Frank

Thanks bike_rider for clearing that up. Anyone have any suggestions ?

Sorry man, I don't have any suggestions in that price range. The only WDR rated camera I have is the Pany CP 484. Very nice, but about $425, without lens.

Are you trying to capture the contents of the display case or the face of the people in the store or both? Given the extreme differences in lighting, you might actually be better off using separate cameras, one focused down on the display case which can adjust to the cabinet lighting and one from behind the counter towards the showroom.

Well I would not really have the option of pointing direct camera into case as there are to many . I will post a pic tomorrow of the layout for you all . There are about 10 floor cases and 8 wall cases. I am running 4 cameras now showroom is 60x15 . From what i have seen from the photos on web the wdr cameras can handle major light differences better . Not so worried about seeing each individual peace in each showcase . It would be nice if I have a salesperson showing a peice to be able to actually see that instaed of washed out areas .

I had a good freind screw me bad last year while my mother was dying ,Lets say he had sticky fingers and leave it at that.I got good Vid of him in the cash register,But not of the cases with missing items. I am a little short on cash as the business ran down last year becasue of illness and a Leach for lack of a better word.I was looking at these KPC WDR cameras WDRW600NH7 ,WDR38CAV5 to retrofit into a current dome I have. bike_rider I'll check out the pany but it's a little out of my range right now.SureVeillance I'll try to post a pic tomorow or 2 so all can see what I am dealing with.Also maybe my current placement is bad too .

Also any jewelry questions I can help or old Japanese cars .

Thanks abunch,

Frank

Edited by Guest

You might try polarization filters to get through the reflection on the glass cases.

If you cannot afford alot of cameras, then give the impression that you have more cameras then a criminal would care for.

I will send you a pm

Would putting a pair of polorized sunglasses in front of the camera be a good test ? Think it would be the same effect Scorpion?

No it would not.

The len has to be mounted to the camera. Then it has to be rotated to find the sweet spot that eliminates the glare, or the reflection. The Sun Glasses will not work.

If you have a lens that will not allow you to attach the polarization filter then you will have to mount it using something such as silicone sealant.

I believe your camera with a pair of sunglasses on it may look silly. LOL!

well honestly bullet cameras as you have now, are not the best example for best image .. most box cameras can handle lighting much better than those, even moreso when using AI lenses. Then again I dont know which bullets you already have? You may be able to get away with a normal color box camera with an AI lens, something from a decent brand like Sanyo, GE, Bosch, etc, which would stay well below your budget. Otherwise some cheaper WDR cameras would be Nuvico, cant think of any others off hand, but here is a list of cameras from various brands which use a popular WDR Chip from Pixim:

http://www.pixim.com/html/prod_cameras.htm

(Note; some brands listed are simply OEMs)

I was cheap on the cameras Rory as it was out my own pocket favor for mom + store . I sent a 100 bucks on them each kpc 2 different ones and a really cheap dome.I will pull them down tomorrow for model #s.Scorpion I was thinking rotating the sunglasses then going back and play instant playback too see if it made any difference ! Will still try it for S+G .Rory you may very well be right on crappy bullets.I'll check out the link too.

Thanks,

Frank

Well I cannot post pics for 8 more days . Unless a nice mod unlocks me.Cameras are 2 nonames 1 kpchd230c ,kpchd363cw.

Thanks,

Frank

Hi lt1240z.

I am a beginner in this business so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

First rule of installation for me is location of camera.

Zoom in on entrances or bottlenecks.

Try cams at eye level or even below.

To catch staff, get a fake cam in their face and the real cam in the dark corner where they pocket the goods.

Whatever you choose to do, change the position of those cams.

The doorway cam will be a killer as the foreground/background lighting will cause problems. I have never needed to use WDR cams but they are designed for that type of lighting.

You could have the camera pointing at 90 degrees to the door, catching the profile of people entering.

Or even mount it above the door catching people walking out.

Regarding the other cameras, fake a robbery.

Walk the path you imagine a thief would take, and reposition the cameras to cover that path.

3 overview cameras are fine if you can guarantee a great face shot with your 4th cam.

On the otherhand, you may be more interested in covering your staff. If thats the case, walk their path.

A 16 cam solution would be to mount a $50 board camera in each of the floor cases pointing up, 1 door cam and 2 overview cams.

Get creative, but get the face shot.

Edited by Guest

with camera 1 and 3, if you could even just point them down enough to get the door out of the image. Also, if you get a regular box camera with an Auto Iris lens, you could just close the Iris a little to cut back on the glare. Make sure the DVR does not have the brightness turned up too much either.

Will readjust them today. I am also gonna order a Sanyo wdr cam which Rory suggested. Breaks the buget but I will get one now and one later. Just got back from much needed 2 day seista . Sorry if I didn't reply sooner . Photys both exits are covered Gonna readjust those 2 till new cameras come.

Thanks again all,

Frank

Sanyo Wdr cam works well thanks Rory. Been really busy just put it up . Defintly cuts out that glare. Will post pics tommorow. Have not had any chance to reposition any of them. Just been a week from hell . Turns out grapevine tells me disgruntled former employee has new plans . Now he is threatening to poison my dogs. So now old camera are going up as fast as they came down. Except now its the Casa. Lemme get to work.

Thanks again ,

Frank

Sorry for delay I have not adjusted very well yet. I took the wdr and stuck it at front door just too see how well it works . Seems pretty good. Also I got a 2391 samsung and stuck it in the back corner as rory said probably the bullets are crap . the samsung 2391 setup right out the box the sanyo i gotta mess with the wdr. Gimme time to adjust the wdr and reposition. Not as easy as the layman thinks guys ! You all have been great. Just the lil ripple from previous employee has me pulling out hair getting the ones up at my house and getting Remote veiw working. Heres some pics

a>