markmarg215

Best?: Panasonic WJ-HD316A, DM "New"DS2, Sanyo DSR

I will get one of these for a client.

I'm fairly new to Security DVR's.

Need 16 channels, RS232 for Home Automation interface (Crestron), Internet viewing requiring NO propietary viewer software, easy operation for homeowner, etc.

Price range up to $4500.00

Any opinions on which one you would get (and why) would be very much appreciated.

Panasonic WJ-HD316A OR DM "New"DS2 OR Sanyo DSR-3716

Thanks

Mark

I think that particular Panasonic unit records only in cif.... you would want the new version the one with the letter T in it. Have you seen the sanyo unit ? isnt that the Tiger, if so its preety good. Not to mention the fact that pano's dvr's are anything but user friendly.

My WD-HD 316 recording resolution is:

Frame High Res 30ips

Field 60ips

SIF 120ips

The Panasonic has many features making it seem difficult. Personally, I don’t think it’s all that hard. And, I don’t do this every day. Plus, the quality is fare superior to anything I've used before.

Just my opinion.

panasonics dvr is extremely easy to use. Especially thru the webclient. I mean it does not get much easier than that. I would highly recommend you try the software thru the web client.

http://66.149.117.147/

username: wjhd316a

password: password

we usually dont even have to train the end users who use the webclient. Its pretty self explanitory. If you want to view recorded video you click the hdd tab. If you want to control a camera click the camera tab. if you want to view mult cams click the multi button. its real easy.

I think that particular Panasonic unit records only in cif.... you would want the new version the one with the letter T in it. Have you seen the sanyo unit ? isnt that the Tiger, if so its preety good. Not to mention the fact that pano's dvr's are anything but user friendly.

I could not agree more on the Pano's none easy programming features...

Sanyo still make their Cheetah version (they call it their low end) and of course their Tiger... Both units work well and does not require a lot of knowledge to program or better yet, to operate...

The DM DS2 can record all the way up to 4CIF resolution at 100PPS global framerate.

And it can record in either MJPEG or MPEG4 and change on the fly, so (for example) you can record in MPEG4 in normal "time lapse" mode to conserve HDD space, but switch to MJPEG on alarm to get slightly higher image quality.

While admittedly configuring a DM DS2 via the front panel is not the most intuitive, it has web browser access that makes config a lot easier and permits remote viewing.

Also - DM comes (at least here in Australia) with a 3 year warranty including the hard drives.

I will get one of these for a client.

I'm fairly new to Security DVR's.

Need 16 channels, RS232 for Home Automation interface (Crestron), Internet viewing requiring NO propietary viewer software, easy operation for homeowner, etc.

Price range up to $4500.00

Any opinions on which one you would get (and why) would be very much appreciated.

Panasonic WJ-HD316A OR DM "New"DS2 OR Sanyo DSR-3716

Thanks

Mark

For simple home automation, the Sanyo box will do the trick... I am not familiar with (Crestron) and I am assuming that you want to use this software to trigger DVR to record specific events...

Besides the fact that Pano DVR could cost at least (3) times more and functionality is not what you call "firendly", I will suggest to stay with the Sanyo DVR... If you need higher rate record capability, Sanyo also has their highest level DVR called "Tiger" series that performs better than your searched product code (which is Sanyo's Cheetah series)..

NO proprietary viewer software is required.. You can use Microsoft IE.. and that is all.

Dependent on the answer to the above, both Sanyo models will give you solid performance and yet least amount of headache on programming or functionality and leave enough cash for some deep sea fishing...

If you have any other questions, we will be glad to help.