bike_rider

IcrealTime vs Nuvico DVR3

A neighbor has the Nuvico and I have not been impressed with the image quality. She says that it is set for the high quality settings, but it looks to me like there are a fair number of compression artifacts. Most of her cameras aren't great, but she has a high res pelco B/W that should look pretty good.

Is the Nuvico setup wrong or just living up to its price point? Would an ICRealtime DVR give better playback quality?

I expect a couple of other neighbors to ask me what to buy and I can't get excited about the Nuvico. I'm using a Geovision system, but I think they will want stand alone units.

Thanks

ICRealtime FLEX Series have CIF recording and 25FPS on each channel, so playback is good for most locations, like house's shop's etc.

ICRealtime PRO Series have D1 recording and 25FPS on each channel, and the playback quailty is outstanding, mainly used is heavy use areas.

We install a lot of ICR DVR's and they are a good all round choice and they are so easy to use so every litle call backs for backing up footage.

To answer your question the FLEX series would be good enough I think, or if she wants top class playback go for the PRO series.

Flex with the R30 upgrade can do D1.

Live View 704x480(NTSC) 704x576(PAL),

Playback 704x480, 352x240(NTSC) ; 352x288, 704x576(PAL)

VGA output 704x480(NTSC) 704x576(PAL)

i've used nuvico a bit and they are ok but yes they are cheap. the biggest problem i have is that about 80% of what i have in the field have come back with HDD failures. and nuvico doesn't acknowledge that there is a problem with them so i problaby would try the other one you mentioned.

HDD Failures arent really the DVR's problem though, that would typically be either faulty drives from the HDD manufacturer, or Power Problems (such as Brownouts, Spikes, etc) in your area. The power issues can be fixed by using an Automatic Voltage Regulator (or UPS with AVR) for every DVR. In this country I would not dream of hooking up a DVR, PC, etc, without an AVR.

Rory

you know i would think that hdd failures are a hdd manufacturing issue also. But back when we used to install DM dvrs for our D.O.D accounts those things dropped hard drives constantly! And no other dvr has ever had that much hdd failures that i have seen. So maybe some dvrs do play a factor in hdd failure??? Its worth a thought.

It may help when the user doesnt have any AVR in the line, if the DVR's power supply had some kind of fuse or what not .. not sure, but yep still possible. Ive always used AVRs though so never had a problem, except the one time I didnt use an AVR

Nuvico DVR's use MPEG4 compression. If set up correctly they give you a good balance between file size & quality of picture. They are "inexpensive" compared to a DM, GE etc. but pack a lot of features for the price.

As far as HD failures most manufactures are beginning the switch to the new seagate HD specifically made for 24/7 use. These carry 5yr warrenties & will really use stablize every manufacturers hd issues.

Beth

The ICR pro does not appear to record at D1. It remains as a CIF machine as noted on the Chinese manufacturer's site. Captured pictures as well as avis are in CIF.