CraigVM62

Perhaps an odd question

Is it possible to combine an RF signal, as from the cable company with a composite video feed over a single cable, then separate it at the other end ??

I was thinking how you can combine an RF signal with Voltage for a DBS Dish via diplexers.

I have an installation where I prewired for a 12 zone Russound CAM6.6 Audio System.

Now at time of trimout, the customer wishes to use a CAV6.6 Controller to distribute video to 6 of the zones. Though I did not wire for the video feeds to any TV's in the home, these controllers are sitting right next to the structured media panel. So I could steal the coax runs in that panel to the desired TV's in the home.

Problem is if these runs become devoted just for the Russounds Composite video feeds, they won't be able to have HD Cable boxes also at the TV Locations. With todays digital cable systems, I just don't know how that would effect the Composite video. I also don't know how the voltage blocking diode in the diplexers would effect the digital cable.

I know if I was reading this post, the first thing I would ask is why there is only a single coax feed to the TV's , this isn't 1980

Home owner insisted on having a friend of his install all the TV, Phone and Security

I don't want to degrade the composite signal by modulating it.

Also, I think by modulating it, a diplexer would no longer be needed, just a combiner / splitter.

The contractor that installed the "structured wiring" pulled cat-5 along with the coax to the majority of the flat panel locations. When I saw them doing it at the rough in stage, I asked them why. They looked at me like I was dumb and enlighten me that if the homeowner decided to go with a dish, the SAT Receivers needed a phone line. Note that these TV locations are all up high on walls for flat screen TV's I figured it wasn't worth the time to try and point out the obvious.

Now what they did might be a blessing.

I don't know why I overlooked this before. I am thinking of using video baluns now.

Running cat 5 is good for IR control back to the "home run" where your sat dish / cable box is located.

It is also great for RS 232 control.

It is smart to run extra cable when you can.

Yup if I had prewired it they would have gotten 3-5 Cat5 and no coax at all.

Of course their media content delivery would be entirely IP based too so really you only need 1 network connection and I can put 10 sat boxes behind it. Or 10 sat boxes + 10 digital cable feeds + 10 FTA sat boxes + 10 ATSC over air antennas. All on 1 Cat5 to the display. The per TV cost is around $650 and that includes a 20" LCD TV and wall mount. Back in the server room is where they have to lay down the coin.