oolala

max vid clip - 5min

I use a gv250 with one camera set to around the clock recording, with max video clip set to 5min. In the viewlog, most files are exactly 5min, but some are less than 5min, like 2:12, 4:55, 3:32, etc., and even one that is 3:00 and two that are 4:00 during a two week period. Most of the <5min files I can account for, like as soon as I open the viewlog, the current file closes right away and a new one gets created. Or if I do a manual update of date/time, disconnect network cable, or from looking at the xp event viewer, some w32time update error also closes the current file right away. But I cannot account for the reason for some <5min, including the 3:00 or 4:00 ones. I'm not totally sure, but I think they happened when I already had the viewlog open, and started playing back some old events after not touching the computer for hours and I think that's when the current file got closed before 5min. Anyone have a clue as to why these <5 files occur particularly ones like 3:00 or 4:00? BTW there is no missing time - the timecode continues seamlessly to the next file.

Do you have multiple locations for the recording? If you do could be when it switches to the next location. Though no seconds is pretty strange.

Nope, one location - one camera into one PC. I forgot to mention, motion detection is set to on, to record entries in the viewlog, if it matters.

Do you have multiple locations for the recording? If you do could be when it switches to the next location. Though no seconds is pretty strange.

Then no motion is detected after the first event. Video clip is cut shorter than 5min. Next video event will be when motion is detected again.

Nope, one location - one camera into one PC. I forgot to mention, motion detection is set to on, to record entries in the viewlog, if it matters.

Yes, remove that setting if you are doing round the clock and want the max clip times.

I had a hunch that it was motion related since these unexplainable <5min files had motion in them. It turned out that when I opened the Advanced Log Browser (while the viewlog was already open) and doubleclicked on the most recent motion event to play it back, if the motion event was within the currently recording file, the current file will immediately close to allow playback, resulting in a <5 min file. Maybe this is normal geovision behavior. The 3:00 and 4:00 file no doubt happened this way, and their strange times coincidences.

Yes, remove that setting if you are doing round the clock and want the max clip times.