Sonn

Extremes EX82

Will Extremes EX82,s perform well with a GE Storesafe Pro, Im thinking of biteing the bullet and going with the extremes. From what Ive read here they seem to be the best..but not cheap..Guess Im thinking I might as well go for something that will last..I know rory had told me in a eariler post that they were good but dont really know much about them.. any advise would be great....Thanks

Edited by Guest

Yep, had them hooked up on a GE DVR for 5 years ..

One thing is to get some stainless steel screws. Also the nuts etc on the camera itself, are not stainless steel, so use some kind of lubricant to keep them from rusting.

Also, dont mount them any higher than 8-10 feet (max) as the higher you go the less Infrared Distance you will get; higher you can raise the camera's front up towards the sky, the better the infrared will be. And must have something to reflect the Infrared off, such as a wall or bush at say 60-75' away. If there is too much glare from the IR reflection, you can always adjust the amount of IR.

oh you cant get much better designed camera than the ex82. especially now with the black diamond ir you get like 250 ft. the only thing that sucks is the trying to get the foam on and not move the photocell. that little hole is a pain.

oh you cant get much better designed camera than the ex82. especially now with the black diamond ir you get like 250 ft. the only thing that sucks is the trying to get the foam on and not move the photocell. that little hole is a pain.

Yeap it is ..

I had a technique that worked after a while though .. but now not having messed with it in a while it is difficult once again.

Sonn, you are burning a lot of cash for these cameras.. They have their uses of course for mostly commercial applications, but for one of these Extreme cameras, you can get at least 2 of boxed version cameras with lenses, housing, heater and blower and the end result is substantially better (and leaving more cash in your pocket...

First off, these camera and most of the CCTV cameras will work with your GE StoreSafe Pro... so you are fine there.. Good choice on this DVR... Just remember that you can increase its internal hard drive capacity... but be careful how you do it... Some of their export features are built into the hard drives (even though it is an embedded system), so if you randomly change the hard drives, you could loose the export feature... There is even fix for that too just in case... a patch that allows the feature to be reinstalled back on to the new drives...

My recommendation will be to look at Panasonic CP-484 cameras with decent lens, housing with heater and blower.. The picture quality and the performance is equivalent or better for the above camera.. You can add simple IR illuminators, if necessary to see even more in pitch dark environment...

Heck, you can even have one of the Bosch best boxed cameras that will give you as good and if not better performance... I am referring to LTC 0620 series cameras...

Not to say the Extreme's package is less of a performer and I will tell you it is an exceptional camera package, but with Panasonic and Bosch options, you get twice as much equipment with same if not better results and picture quality.

The EX82 will still blow the others away in a Day Night app with Pitch Dark at night .. hence the use of the IR up to 100+'.

Unless you are going to use some decent IR such as the UF100 or even the UF500, that sucker will light the place right up with any Night camera! Then you get the wide dynamic feature of the Pano. Without IR though, going by the specs, the Pano is not that low light, in fact I would take the GE 2000EX Exview cam over the Pano for a low light app.

To get the somewhat equivalent with a box camera you will need the box camera, lens, housing, and at least a UF100 IR Illuminator, then the box camera is only a single camera which switches to a night mode using filters (or god forbid digital), which is not as good as having 2 separate cameras; a Color for day and a BW for night. Unfortunately there are no Day Night switching all in one single cameras (exview or otherwise) that can match the low light sensitivity of a BW camera; even a cheap BW camera.

I would have to agree though that if there is minimal light at night you should be able to get away with a Day Night camera only, but if it is pitch dark or very dark at night, this camera rocks. This would be a waste of money though if you have some light in the area at night, as really it is designed with Pitch Dark in mind.

Sonn, you are burning a lot of cash for these cameras.. They have their uses of course for mostly commercial applications, but for one of these Extreme cameras, you can get at least 2 of boxed version cameras with lenses, housing, heater and blower and the end result is substantially better (and leaving more cash in your pocket...

First off, these camera and most of the CCTV cameras will work with your GE StoreSafe Pro... so you are fine there.. Good choice on this DVR... Just remember that you can increase its internal hard drive capacity... but be careful how you do it... Some of their export features are built into the hard drives (even though it is an embedded system), so if you randomly change the hard drives, you could loose the export feature... There is even fix for that too just in case... a patch that allows the feature to be reinstalled back on to the new drives...

My recommendation will be to look at Panasonic CP-484 cameras with decent lens, housing with heater and blower.. The picture quality and the performance is equivalent or better for the above camera.. You can add simple IR illuminators, if necessary to see even more in pitch dark environment...

Heck, you can even have one of the Bosch best boxed cameras that will give you as good and if not better performance... I am referring to LTC 0620 series cameras...

Not to say the Extreme's package is less of a performer and I will tell you it is an exceptional camera package, but with Panasonic and Bosch options, you get twice as much equipment with same if not better results and picture quality.

ok even i am a HUGE believer in panasonic equipment but your just way off. you said.

"but for one of these Extreme cameras, you can get at least 2 of boxed version cameras with lenses, housing, heater and blower and the end result is substantially better (and leaving more cash in your pocket..."

substantially better? ya right. You can get good ir response from a pan 484 but your overall camera shots in the night are much better with 82.

By the way rory with new black diamond you get 200+ feet of coverage.

the ex82 is a good investment and will out perform in any day/night application

ok even i am a HUGE believer in panasonic equipment but your just way off. you said.

"but for one of these Extreme cameras, you can get at least 2 of boxed version cameras with lenses, housing, heater and blower and the end result is substantially better (and leaving more cash in your pocket..."

substantially better? ya right. You can get good ir response from a pan 484 but your overall camera shots in the night are much better with 82.

200+ .. sounds cool ..same price as the previous ones too?

jisaac, seems that you like to pick words that you do not like and come up with your conclusions, which are baseless... As Rory even agreed, the EX82 is an exceptional performer, but for pitch dark areas that will require IR...

Nobody here disputes how great EX82 cameras are nor am I.. The point that was made, which obviously raffled up you feathers is that if there is an outside lighting at all, the Panasonic, Bosch or Sanyo will give this member a solution that will do the same as EX82, and that it will save him money...

Yes, I will state that Panasonic solution will do the trick and still leave this user more money in his pocket... I can even give you Bosch or better yet, Sanyo solution that will do the same... and still give him a great picture quality during the day and night... but of course, if the area of concern is pitch dark and this member must have EX82, then there are no arguments there...

200+ .. sounds cool ..same price as the previous ones too?

yes, same price and large increase in IR coverage. Can’t complain about that.

And CCTV_Suppliers,

I am probably the biggest believer and preacher of the quality of Panasonics products. Not only do I believe in the supreme quality that the line of SDIII and other un touched features.

I am more of a supporter of pano's equipment than extremes in most applications. But the extremes do have their place and all I was saying was that in area of low light and solid day performance the ex line should not just be dismissed and have something else pushed just to save a few $$$. Maybe the $ savings is not his main priority. We dont really know what his priority’s are.

Could be

Vanity of cameras

Performance

shape

Specs

or religious belief of the person who inspected it.

The guy asked about the ex line of cams and so one would think IR day/night performance bundle. And so I would recommend it.

Granted that we may not know what his priorities are... However, we also do not know the fact that if he knows about the Panasonic's solution.

I am not a hard core Panasonic user... believe me.. nor endorse any specific brand and as I do not have any preference on manufacturers... What I care however is to pick the best each manufacturer produces and then find a solution that could be a combination of several products from different manufacturers.

We use Panasonic camera equipment only in areas that most of the cameras can not perform and you know exactly what I am referring to. For me, Panasonic SDIII product line is not a stream line that we offer, rather use them for environments that require much more light analysis and major improvements in picture quality...

Nobody is disputing here about the ExtremeCCTV solution... If the night vision is important, the pricing irrelevant and money is no object, then this is the right solution for him... What if he finds out later that he could have cover more area using 2 Panasonic's camera packages and by adding a simple flood light that will operate with motion and provide light that will be enough to get excellent picture quality at night??? and yet, still have extra dollars in his pocket?

Don't you think that it will be very good idea to educate your potential customers by applying your knowledge and experience before they pull the trigger to purchase something and miss out on other solutions that can and do save money? Or, do you go by only what their chosen equipment is without explaining their other options? In the long term, it pays major dividends to educate and have more options available for your customers..

It pays to give unbiased opinions and provide alternatives on what someone may think is the best solution... As professionals, it is also our responsibility to provide different solutions for the same task... thus offering customers different choices.. rather than, well, ExtremeCCTV is the best and you pay the price..

If push comes to shove, I can start talking about Panasonic's StarLight cameras that will work better than ExtremeCCTV solution... Have you ever used or seen StarLight cameras and if so, what is your take on them? Pricing will be in line or probably more expensive than Extremes EX82...

i will put it this way and leave this alone

Our goal: Provide the most effective system that fullfills the customers needs, for the lowest possible cost.

If a specific area of interest requires IR vandal proof we provide nothing more and nothing less.

The guy asked about a product line and that was it so the response was a reply.

I did not know his parameters/variables for the coverage area. So a response to his question seemed simple.

If push comes to shove, I can start talking about Panasonic's StarLight cameras that will work better than ExtremeCCTV solution... Have you ever used or seen StarLight cameras and if so, what is your take on them? Pricing will be in line or probably more expensive than Extremes EX82...

Does it use Infrared? If it just slows the shutter then its not worth it IMO, video will be too slow. Also, is it a dual camera, separate BW for night? Just asking

Here is the product spec url: http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId=11201&catalogId=13051&itemId=68240&catGroupId=14458&surfModel=WV-CL924A&parentCatGroupId=14220&searchModel=WVC&displayTab=O

We have them installed in quite of few locations and the performance is exceptional... Just make sure that you are using the right lens... We used Panasonic recommended lenses, Tokina lenses that performed very well... as well as Computar...

Again, I am not saying the ExtremeCCTV solution is worse... however, this above model from Panasonic can and does perform in the equal footing as the ExtremeCCTV model.

Ive seen that before, but the lux specs are the same as the GE KTC-2000EX model? 0.01 lux. At double the price, or more actually time as you add the 1/2" lens.

Either way, neither will see in pitch dark, which is what the EX82 is for.

Exview will see in near pitch dark, but the image is hardly ever useful for identification.

That said I have used the Sanyo (just Day Night, no Exview) with the UF500 and that was great, but also had its draw backs, in the end the EX82 was just so much easier to install.

Rory,

Can the lenses be changed easy on the EX82,s? I have the 8-15mm on them now..

Thanks

They arent standard sized lenses as far as I could tell, so I would imagine you would need to buy them from Extreme.