outrun

What should I get?

Ok, well this only my second post.

I have had a samsung security camera system for the last 5 years. Loved it until my dog chewed up a couple of cables. Didn't know it would be so expensive to just get cable for these cameras. Now they are nothing great as it was a package deal at a local club kinda like walmart .

Well the other day I bought 11 cameras with a switcher for about 60 bucks. The cameras are all black and white and didn't have any lenses. I purchased some lenses, power box, cables, all that good stuff and put up 3 cams outside in the housing. Man was I disapointed.

These cams suck during the day. Sorry, but that is the real word for it. Auto Iris doesn't seem to do anything. It's so bright during the day. At night however they are great. Most if not all these cameras are 0.1lux. So, I guess I will just use them at night. If I do just use them at night I would like some color cameras for the day.

So, I would like to get some color cameras for my property.

Here is the run down. I have 3 acres with a pond and my house and barn. I would like to get maybe 6 color cameras to monitor the whole property. I would have them run into my computer. I might use the cameras I have now for at night.

Thanks, Jason

Yeah I could do something like that. I only have 3 acres. Its about 380ft long and I guess about 200 feet wide. As for the pond I think putting a camera about 75 feet from the pond and then just getting a lens I will zoom in on it kinda like what you posted.

What I really am looking for is some good cheap cameras. Ex: I have a nice 22" computer monitor that is made by an off brand company and it gets exact if not better reviews than the name brand monitors. Also this monitor was made by the people who actually make the parts that go in some of the name brand monitors.

So, thats kinda what I am looking for in a camera. I do believe in a way you get what you pay for but after searching a lot of sites I can't believe the differences in cost on the same exact camera. If someone didn't pay attention they could spend a lot on cameras and lenses from buying the wrong thing from the wrong person.

I don't want to get screwed. I have been buying some lenses from a local recently for 40 bucks a pop varifocal, autoiris, 3.8 to 8 something. While I think that is a good price I could be wrong. After some searching on the net I saw the same thing that I bought for only 25 bucks. Lens is made by a differnt company but hey it's cheaper than 40 bucks and I assume it serves the same purpose.

11 cameras, and a switcher, and they work at night. That is gods gift to the CCTV. You have won the lottery for $60.00!

You probably would not want to buy from me either. I tend to drive to peoples houses when there are problems, and make sure there is 100% satisfaction. I tend to email lost manuals, and such. Since nobody does this in my area, I get treated like I am a premium store when in reality I am just doing my job! I bump up the prices a hair so that I can perform these tasks with ease. I lose a lot of customers because of my pricing. I usually get a snide remark about the prices, and then I am told that they are going to the internet, or to EBAY.

I have to give a lot of credit to those who left our store with all of the advice that I gave them, and then the products that they ordered did not

perform well that they got from the internet, then they have to reapproach me to get things fixed. You can really feel that they mean it when they said "scorpion, you told me so".

If you bought it off the internet, and you have a problem with the camera, bring it in to my shop, and I will take a look at it for no charge. Do not call me to come out to the house as I have to charge a service charge.

YIKES! Gotta love the gas prices, insurance, and oh boy, the workmans comp is really getting out of control! What is it up to now $12 per $100 of employee salary now?? What is that? $15,000 a year for 4 techs?

Edited by Guest

Agreed, you should spend more time playing with them. You got that deal because they are BW and most uneducated consumers run from BW like the plauge. Get the manuals and mess with the settings on the cam. Sounds to me like you have manual iris and it's open too far.

Well I got 11 cameras. They all seem to be made by delta vision. 3 of one model, 3 of another model, 4 of another model, and one different model and brand.

They are all low lux. I called the company for some info on them and they couldn't even find them in the computer. I was like you gotta be kidding. Tech support said they had nothing either but he said if he remembers correctly one of the models was from 2001.

All the lenses that I have bought are auto iris. Also the cameras have so many functions that I had to mess with some of them. I am only running 3 cameras right now. These cameras are all .01 lux and I think that is the problem. During the day it is so bright on the camera. I mean you can see but is nothing like what my dad has next door.

My father has a cheap airlink 101 and the picture is so clear during the day. As I have thought about it these cameras came from a car dealership and I bet he used them all at night. Cause the pic is great at night. Also the switcher is made by Advanced Technology Video DPX 16m. I didn't find anything on it though.

I am going to see if I can find a link to one of the cameras and see if yall have ever seen it.

Also so what yall are saying is I got a good deal and B/W cameras are great?

The one you posted looks like a newer model. Here is the exact craigslist link that I bought it from. You can kinda see it here in the pic. Also those camera boxes you see that is not what these cameras are. Those boxes are from the new cameras they got I guess and they put the old cameras in those boxes.

dallas.craigslist.orgele431057470.

Ok I found the manual on it.

If you go to atvideo website and click on literature and then click on DPX/SPX.