photys

Whats the next step up from Geovision/Avermedia DVR's

I want an DVR (not IP) that records the kind of quality you see when you directly plug a CCTV camera into a TV or monitor.

For example:

I plug in a Samsung Techwin 530 line cam into a standard TV and the image I see is almost broadcast quality.

Plug it into a budget DVR, the quality becomes pixelated or compressed.

I have tried the Geovision 250's to 1240's and the Avermedia 1304net standalone.

I am happy with Axis 207 quality, but I dont want an IP solution at the moment.

From low to mid quality I see it as:

AVTech standalones.

Avermedia standalones.

Avemedia PC cards.

Geovision PC cards.

Whats next up the ladder?

Thanks guys.

Edited by Guest

PC based live video wont be the same as when you plug it into a TV, however, the stand alones should be. They will ofcourse require a CCTV CRT Monitor or a TV. If you are looking at those stand alones on a VGA monitor then you are not seeing the true quality.

Geo and Aver, really other PC DVRs are all going to be the same quality, or less. You may get better quality with hardware compression, but dont just be looking for H.264 cause that just means more compression, not higher quality.

How much have you tweaked Geo's compression settings?

Basically to go beyond that you'll be looking at custom software to work with normal TV tuners like for home theater PCs. The quality is there but the cost is very high and no interface software that I know of.

This may be a better example.

Record with a Geovision system at D1 no de-interlace.

No jaggys, crisp image, Almost DVD quality.

Thats the minimum quality im looking for.

Cant though.....cos thieves move

Rory,

I hear you regarding H.264.

I agree its a marketing tool, not a mark of quality.

PC based live video wont be the same as when you plug it into a TV, however, the stand alones should be.

The Avermedia 1304net standalone shows a drop in quality, but I suppose thats to be expected at the budget price.

If you are looking at those stand alones on a VGA monitor then you are not seeing the true quality.

Sorry mate, im not clear on this.

The only standalone I have used has a TV / VGE switch for output.

Do you mean stand-alones are designed for TV / CCTV monitor output?

Therefore, VGA output will show more compression and pixelation?

CollinR,

After tweaking, the only quality Im happy with from my geo systems is D1 no de-interlace, recording quality 5, Mpeg.

A static scene looks great.

Not great for catching pesky thieves who tend not to stand still for a photo.

Im happy using VGA output, I think my TV analogy confused the issue.

Sorry mate, im not clear on this.

The only standalone I have used has a TV / VGE switch for output.

Do you mean stand-alones are designed for TV / CCTV monitor output?

Therefore, VGA output will show more compression and pixelation?

Yes, depending on the type of RTOS/Non RTOS ofcourse, but in most cases it just has a built in Composite to VGA converter, as the original video out on the boards are composite.

Plug it into a TV and you should see a huge increase in quality. If it does not then the DVR has issues (and personally I would stay clear of it). All of the Stand alones I have used look the same through the DVR to a TV as the camera does directly into the TV, even the AvTech 4 channel cheap one (slight decrease/lighting issues but nothing really noticeable).

PC Based - Stand Alone: My 21 Cents.

dependant on whether the stand alone is RTOS or not and the type

Stand Alone is greater quality in Live video (on a Composite Monitor. eg. CRT TV, CCTV CRT Monitor, etc), but less evidence sharing features and quality. Add composite to VGA conversion and it decreases considerably. PC Based on the other hand, typically better evidence sharing features and higher recorded quality, while the Live Video is lower quality.

I'm also looking for what Photys is looking for but in my experience, Rory hit it on the head. I think that IP is going to totally take the markey by storm in the next few years and I think only then will the quality reach a level we can all be happy with. I know it is available now but the costs are too high for most small to medium business's.... at least in my experience.

Oh ya, the thing I like best about PC based is you can fix system remotely with VNC or PC anywhere, so you offer "Online Support". So much better the driving down to fix somthing easy.

I'm also looking for what Photys is looking for but in my experience, Rory hit it on the head. I think that IP is going to totally take the markey by storm in the next few years and I think only then will the quality reach a level we can all be happy with. I know it is available now but the costs are too high for most small to medium business's.... at least in my experience.

Oh ya, the thing I like best about PC based is you can fix system remotely with VNC or PC anywhere, so you offer "Online Support". So much better the driving down to fix somthing easy.

Yep, megapixel. Big $$ though.

Actually, with the GE Standalone you can change settings remotely also.

After tweaking, the only quality Im happy with from my geo systems is D1 no de-interlace, recording quality 5, Mpeg.

A static scene looks great.

Not great for catching pesky thieves who tend not to stand still for a photo.

Im happy using VGA output, I think my TV analogy confused the issue.

Set it to:

Feed = 640x480 Deinterlace

Quality = 5

Codec = MPEG4 ASP

Sub Pixel Precision = 1/4 Pixel

Quantizer = 2

Inter-frame Threshold = 1

Max Keyframe Interval = 30

That last one doesn't really help picture quality but it will help in internet streaming.