CSCOUT2001

WDR Domes (which one would you choose.)

A client wants to use a wide dynamic dome for a restaurant...

We are waiting for the Pelco ISC90-cwv9 to come off back order, our other choices are the American Dynamics or the GE XXXX. Some individuals on this site do not like the GE model.

I also have the Samsung available, but it always seems to have a haze in the picture.... I am probably doing something wrong, because I can not believe they would let the camera have the hazy picture and call it WDR. Some people said they just enhanced the BLC and called it a WDR. I find that hard to believe.

I am open to suggestions... I do like the EverFocus EQ600 WDR box camera but that is not an option.

Thanks and look forward to hearing what others have used and like

A client wants to use a wide dynamic dome for a restaurant...

We are waiting for the Pelco ISC90-cwv9 to come off back order, our other choices are the American Dynamics or the GE XXXX. Some individuals on this site do not like the GE model.

I also have the Samsung available, but it always seems to have a haze in the picture.... I am probably doing something wrong, because I can not believe they would let the camera have the hazy picture and call it WDR. Some people said they just enhanced the BLC and called it a WDR. I find that hard to believe.

I am open to suggestions... I do like the EverFocus EQ600 WDR box camera but that is not an option.

Thanks and look forward to hearing what others have used and like

Are the solutions that you are searching for indoor, outdoor or combination of?

These camera will be looking directly at the front door monitoring the lobby and entrance. Direct light through the door and still be able to see the individuals. The EQ600 does a fantastic job, but he is after a dome.

Thanks

These camera will be looking directly at the front door monitoring the lobby and entrance. Direct light through the door and still be able to see the individuals. The EQ600 does a fantastic job, but he is after a dome.

Thanks

American Dynamics WDR works fairly good.. the same avail from Panasonic which is even more expensive, but excellent performer (actually the best performer if I am insert)..

A different path that I can recommend is a Sanyo WDR solution... and there are few options there too...

First - WDR dome - VDC-C1574VA... This will work very well in the same environment.. not as good as Panasonic, but definite candidate.

Second - WDR with Pan/Focus - VCC-P7574 - well, this model actually will be much better, as it provides the picture that is always in focus.

These above models will give you fairly good performance (specially the second one)...

Let us know what you decide and good luck.

The EQ600 uses the Pixim DPS system, there is a list of domes that use the same chipset on their website and I would think some of these will give similar performance to the EQ600.

I can't post the link but if you try the obvious with pixim you will find them.

First - WDR dome - VDC-C1574VA... This will work very well in the same environment.. not as good as Panasonic, but definite candidate.

Second - WDR with Pan/Focus - VCC-P7574 - well, this model actually will be much better, as it provides the picture that is always in focus.

A couple of questions on the the Sanyo.

The VDC-c1574VA does not mention it is a Wide Dynamic camera. Are all the Sanyo cameras Wide Dynamic (please explain)

The VCC-P7574 does not mention it is a Wide Dynamic camea either. I have seen the Pan Focus demo, which is very cool and I like the fact that you do not need the second person to focus the camera.

Yes I have seen the the list of Pixum chip cameras, if you go to the Pixum website, you will see all the brands that use the chip. (domes and all others).

I would like to know how the other mfr are calling their Wide Dynamic cameras WD and what is the technology. I have used and seen the Samsung camera and it just looks like a haze develops when trying to utilize the WDyn features while looking out a front door.

Any feedback or knowledge you can pass onto me would be absorbed like a sponge.

Looking forward to your responses.

A couple of questions on the the Sanyo.

The VDC-c1574VA does not mention it is a Wide Dynamic camera. Are all the Sanyo cameras Wide Dynamic (please explain)

The VCC-P7574 does not mention it is a Wide Dynamic camea either. I have seen the Pan Focus demo, which is very cool and I like the fact that you do not need the second person to focus the camera.

Yes I have seen the the list of Pixum chip cameras, if you go to the Pixum website, you will see all the brands that use the chip. (domes and all others).

I would like to know how the other mfr are calling their Wide Dynamic cameras WD and what is the technology. I have used and seen the Samsung camera and it just looks like a haze develops when trying to utilize the WDyn features while looking out a front door.

Any feedback or knowledge you can pass onto me would be absorbed like a sponge.

Looking forward to your responses.

WDR is a verbiage that has been used very loosely... Some manufacturers actually harp very strongly that their cameras are WDR even though they are not... there is not enough space to discuss what WDR really is and what exactly the true WDR camera provide and what environments will actually need them... I can tell you that Panasonic 484 series minidome is the king among WDR minidomes and for a price...

Sanyo version of VDC-W1594 is the Sanyo's WDR version... This camera is true WDR, about $100 more than its color version (VDC-C1574VA) and it is better performer...

If this was my project and if customer had the money, I will consider offering them between VDC-W1594 and VCC-P7574 and the this last one is one $20 more.. With its feature, which no other manufacturer can match up, does give excellent always in focus effect, yet is very responsive of the lighting changes, thus gives the WDR effect..

This information is exactly what I am after. I will take your recommendations and dig a little deeper for the specs, pricing etc.

I have had good luck with the Everfocus EQ 600, not much luck with the Samsung WD, and not much luck with the Intellipix from Intellicam, however they are using the Pixum chip and it did a decent job but died in the field during a trial run.

thanks!

Does anyone else want to add any information, agree, ect.

When it comes to this industry, I find myself trying to absorb as much information as possible, things change, and there is always a better camera for the job at hand... if you are interested, looking, and listening to others that are in the field

Here is a not so brief overview of the different WDR technologies out there.

In the beginning there was dark, then there was light, then they put both together in a shop doorway and Panasonic made the SuperD camera. That might sound dramatic but for a long time there was only SuperD that offered WDR.

SuperD worked by taking two images where a normal camera would only take one. The two images would have different shutter speeds. The fast shutter speed image would capture the highlights well. The slower shutter speed image would capture the low lights well. The camera would make one WDR image using the best bits from the two images. Since then we have had SDII and SDIII but the basic theory is the same. It is called dual or two shot and it is now available from other manufacturers as well as Panasonic.

This type of system gives the haze or halo effect when it is being pushed to the limit. A good way to show this is to stand in front of one in a strong backlight and rock from side to side. You should develop an angels halo around you. This happens at moving transitions between bright and dark. As the two shots happen at different points in time and you have moved between shots the camera can't produce a perfect picture from the two shots. It is more obvious the wider the dynamic range in the scene, or the more you push the camera to its limit.

The other contender for WDR is Pixim DPS. This is in my mind a better way to do it but it does have it's drawbacks in other areas. It isn't going to be a good at low light and it doesn't have all the none WDR features that the Panasonic cameras come with. Pixim don't use a CCD. To read one pixel on a CCD you have to read them all. That is the fundamentally reason that CCDs have a low dynamic range but I won't go into that unless someone wants specifics. Pixim on the other hand can read pixels independently from each other. In effect they can read all pixels out at the same time but at different shutter speeds. This means you don't get the halo effect and if I remember right Pixim can read out pixels at 8 different shutter speeds at the same time. This gives it a much wider dynamic range than dual shot.

I am not recommending any over the other, I'm just showing how they work. Even though I think Pixim have the better technology it doesn't necessarily follow that each camera using it will be the best solution. Each manufacturer has to make the most of the the technology. A poor DPS implementation will not be as good as a the best dual shot implementation.