emholic

what makes a good camera

Hi, I'm fairly new to the CCTV industry and have pretty much only learned of one brand. there an OEM importer. they use Sony CCD chips and sony super HAD and sony exview.

now i know its not just the chip set but what else goes into making a good quality camera?

thanks in advance for your input.

Your question is quite hard to answer as there are many different types of camera available and they serve different needs. It isn't fair to compare the features of a box camera with a mini dome for example. Each can be a quality camera in different ways. T

It might be better to be more specific and ask what makes a quality low light camera, a quality general indoor camera or a quality low light minidome as each has it own needs.

To get the ball rolling a quality camera should be reliable.

i was actually referring to the insides of a camera.

BOX:

BULLET:

DOME:

I also want to know what makes a camera reliable. Most camera manufacturers, from what i understand, use SONY CCD chip sets. Now i know there are different chip sets like EXVIEW, SUPER HAD, ETC. BUT is this the only thing that matters?

what other parts go into making a "quality/reliable" camera?

ex: im referring to something along the lines of like a car runs better on stock tires rather than a donut tire.

It's not a question of the parts per se. There are a lot of factors involved that only the manufacturers know. For instance, the life of electrolytic capacitors varies greatly depending on type, temperature rating and voltage ratings. Most parts last longer if they are not run at, or near, their maximum ratings.

I doubt if anyone here has the ability or desire to analyze all of the factors that make one camera more reliable than another. Usually we just go by experience and word of mouth.

What you are asking is the equivalent of asking what makes Toyotas and Hondas more reliable than Fords and Chevys. They all have the same basic parts - engine, transmission, tires, etc; often from the same subcontract manufacturers.

i see, thanks for your input. im definetly going to check out temperature ratings comparing i guess apples to apples with these features.

anyone one else want to chime in?

Here's a good way to simplify it: "You get what you pay for."

A lot of bullet and dome cameras I've seen all use the same type of basic small board camera. The basic design is the same; what really affects the final product is the quality control in the construction and component selection.

Some better designs add a voltage-regulator board that can help increase the life of the camera, as the small components tend to be a lot more sensitive to voltage variations.

Heat is also the enemy of electronics - I've seen one particular line of high-end dome cameras with a very high failure rate, because the dome for some reason retains heat, and the camera boards they use (including voltage regulators) seem to generate and excessive level of heat.

Ultimately, though, the image quality of any camera depends on the lens. The sensor can only reproduce as good an image as it's given.