photys

Geovision moving forward with IP NVR solution

Still no release date.

After reading, it looks like it may be a separate product and not integrated into the V8 software.

In other news Check the link for info on new Geovision standalones. Ugly little feckers.

http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/6_0.asp?pno1=1

Oct. 18, 2007

GeoVision Enhances IP Surveillance Capability with Brands IP Cameras Support

GeoVision, a professional software developer and security leading provider in smart video analysis, monitoring and management solutions, is pleased to announce the will-be-released-soon GV-NVR as a new version of pure IP-based surveillance management software. GV-NVR will support GeoVision's GV-Video Server, GV-1.3M Pixel high definition IP cameras and other well-known brands IP cameras including Axis, Sony, Panasonic, Mobotix, IQinvision and JVC. Additional camera manufacturers and models are expected to be added in the supporting list in the future.

Through the advanced smart video analytics features, GeoVision's GV-NVR can detect abnormal events and behaviors based on preconfigured rules, such as multi-area motion detection, face detection, unattended and missing object detection, scene change detection, moving object tracking. The E-map management feature from GV-NVR provides quick awareness to camera and alarm triggering with easy access to camera locations and live images on floor plans. The visual automation feature facilitates operation of electronic appliances by integrating the digital controller into monitored images.

GV-NVR's remote video viewing and control function allows video streams from IP cameras to be sent to users' 3G mobile phones or PDA handheld devices for real-time monitoring. Users can view video streams from 16 IP cameras simultaneously via a well-designed web browser-based interface MultiView, with monitoring, dual audio, and PTZ control functions.

The open architecture of GV-NVR to integrate with point-of-sale, ATM, access control, and license plate recognition systems enhances IP surveillance solutions with situational awareness capabilities. GV-NVR will manage and log all video with corresponding events data in its well-ruled, well-integrated system management platform, expediting the tasks of notification, playback, and investigation of event videos.

you need to buy a USB dongle to use the IP cameras, I am not sure how the dongles will work, how many IP cameras/brands per each USB dongle. Also it seems some of the new features on Geovision will need a USB dongle to be activated.

A bit sad I think.

JD

They should look into software based activation based on the user's hardware. I mean if someone is going to crack it, they can crack the dongles too. Only do dongles maybe for large networks.

They should look into software based activation based on the user's hardware. I mean if someone is going to crack it, they can crack the dongles too. Only do dongles maybe for large networks.

I think the dongle manufacture have given them a deal; if someone crack the dongles, you get the money back or new dongles.

But anyway, one day in the future the capture card board is no longer needed, so they need to look into making money for just software.

Also will naybe free CMS software give todays developers a challenge.

JD

I was thinking that the release meant that current V8 systems also wouldn't support IP cameras like the GV-NVR which is just plain sad.

We have been using Geo for 6 years now but Avermedia is already accepting Megapixel cams and Geo might start charging extra for that option? These dongles are nothing but a pain in the a$$ just like V.7 dongles and the SP/S1 chipsets. If Geo is going to continue to be the most expensive cards around, and then start charging for extra features like IP cameras, I think that will really affect their sales, at least I know it will from us.

I really dont like the idea of dongles either. It is just another point of failure. PCs have enough of those already - HD, MB, Memory, PSU... Why add another?

On the other hand, I don't see a good way around it. Software activation based on system hardware would probably work well, but setting that up and maintaining it for an international community may be more trouble than its worth...and how do you police it?

Bus encryption, Keyfiles, Registration keys, Product Activations, all good systems, but with limitations.

I can certainly understand Geovisions fear of their NVR software being copied, sold/given away, and used without them or their dealers getting payment.

What do the other IP software vendors (like Milestone) do? And how effective is it?