Sign in to follow this  
SUPRA VVTI

Panning camera without a controller?

Edit:

After a little more searching, do I need a scanner?

Hello everyone , this is obviously my first post.

I want to fix an external colour camera on the back of the house, one fixed camera won't cover the area that I have in mind because of the position of various out buildings.

A panning camera will be ideal though.

Is it possible to purchase one that doesn't require a manual controller, but can be set to pan through an angle repeadly at a specified speed. Tilting won't be necessary.

What should I be looking for, I've done a fair amount of searching without success.

Thanks

You may be better off using a dedicated Mini PTZ or a Outdoor rated P/T cam there are several on the market....considering the costs of a decent outdoor scanner and mounting your cam to it either way you would need some type of control or at least the ability to program the speed.... however there are some cheap Mini Pan devices (plug and play) that do 350 degrees and speed approx 5 degrees/sec but I would stay clear of them...need more info on your application...environmental conditions, placement....wire/ps access etc...Ive used some Mini PTZs (OEM TBT) with IRcut low light etc... a lot of outfits sell them now branded and Nuvico has a new Mini PTZ that replaced their older model....I am waiting for one now .... I mostly use Minis for gated entries with alarm set that zooms into drive area on motion/door box switch....you cam buy a cheap mini PTZ controller and then set your cam up to do what you want...tours/pattern/auto scan etc lot more flexible...just a thought, your seeking a pan only device leads me to believe you only want to use the cam for observation and not record because without a control interface you would not be able to stop and view the incident or event, if thats not the case better to set up multiple static cams and place them to view specific targets

The camera will be used for monitoring our pet cat. LOL

We live on a busy main road so decided to use a cat harness and chord to prevent him from leaving our property. He's managed to get out of the harness acouple of times so I'm wanting to keep an eye on him to check he's okay without having to go outside every time.

Day and night time viewing, colour camera. Rain, snow etc. (I was going to place a cover over the top to give protection ) Temp could be anything from -10 Celsius to + 30 Celsius. Also very low light conditions.

I was wanting to place the camera low to the ground to avoid any blind spots, 180 degree panning. Mounting it on the back of the house with good access for cables etc.

Image quality doesn't have to be fantastic.

Would $600 max be sufficient?

Well for what you are trying to do, a Mini PTZ may work....wouldnt mount it to low to the ground though....google Mini PTz and take a look at some of your options and price, there are dealers on this forum too that carry them...also look at outdoor P/T only cams....Speco has one as well some other brands... perhaps you might want to check out some of the IP cams if you want to go that route.... I set up a TOSHIBA IK-WB15A for a client that wanted to eyeball two lamas in a pen away from home but it only does 112° pan, 54° tilt, but had auto patrol built in, web server and poe...retail prices arent too bad for them... for a mini ptz and low end controller (retail) you will have to shop around...for price or maybe just go with a decent lowlight IR outdoor bullet or dome with a wide lens and try to get as much territory as you can...how about a small garden fence...chicken wire, gotta be careful with cats/dogs being tied out for extended periods of time... you always run the risk of them getting bound up bad, or hurt themselves in frustration tryin to wiggle loose, anyway good luck

I got a cat that is 16yrs old and he is the boss... living with four dogs(2 alaskan malamutes, german shep and a rottie!)

Haha

That would be good to see, cats are great.

We've got a fence right around our property but it's only 3 1/2 feet high. I think the only thing which could keep him inside would be a high brick wall which isn't practical.

He's very patient if he gets tangled up, he just sits down and waits for someone to go out which we do every half hour anyway.

But It will be nice to monitor him all the time via cctv.

Thanks for the informative replies, very much appreciated.

Best regards

Andrew