gthms

IP65 Covert Camera

Hi,

I have a requirement for a number of covert cameras which need to have an IP65 rating or better. Preferably 380 TVL or better, Smoke detector or PIR type would probably work best. Does anybody know of a product that would fit the bill.

I know I could make one up but the site is prone to fire and for insurance and fire and safety reasons, the client requires a product that is rated for the environment, which oerates at about 8 degrees celsius and is power hosed daily.

Any help greatly appreciated.

To many variables to give you any info.

Is this indoor, or outdoor where you will be using this camera?

What do you mean by power hose? Pressure washer, or is this more like a

fire dept testing their hoses?? Do you have an arson event daily?

Question: The area that you are watching, how far away is this area that you are watching from where the camera is mounted?

Is this for daytime use, night time use, or both?

Would you be better off putting a water proof camera in a birdhouse, or a dog house, to disguise it?

Why does it have to be covert? I am not being nosy, but it helps with product selection.

With smoke detector style covert cameras you will not be able to get a facial shot. These are great for looking right down in to a cash till. You can see the hand movement to see if someone is pocketing cash.

A covert PIR motion detector will give you facial shots to some degree.

Most off the shelf covert products will come with a wide angle lens. There is a distortion issue that is associated with wide lenses. They are designed to pull in the peripheral view. Items at a distance are ignored with this lens selection. An object at 20 feet will appear further away in the video. This means that an object will appear smaller in the video compared to reality as well. A face at 20 feet will not be as readable, compared to a 6mm lens or higher. The farther away the area is from the camera the more you may need a higher mm lens to get a facial shot.

If you are more interested in a travel path such as a parking lot then wide angle lens are good for this. You can see someone walking from car to car across a parking lot. You may not have facial detail, but you get the activity detail.

This is where I need more info. The right lens, camera, and product can be real tricky in the selection process.

It sounds like you may need to hide a camera in a metal box of some sort to "hide" it. If you are prone to fire then that means the covert smoke detector or the PIR motion may melt before you get the video shot that you are looking for. I am thinking that the plastic will melt in the way of the lens.

To many variables to give you any info.

Is this indoor, or outdoor where you will be using this camera?

Indoor. in a cold room type environment used for processing meat. no windows or roof windows.

What do you mean by power hose? Pressure washer, or is this more like a

fire dept testing their hoses?? Do you have an arson event daily?

Pressure washer. No arson event but a device overheating or causing a spark could cause the whole plant to be lost. (happened before)

Question: The area that you are watching, how far away is this area that you are watching from where the camera is mounted?

Camera is for observation/detection only. Target sze estimated at between 10 and 15% of vertical screen size. No facial detection or recognition is required. Standard wide angle lens 3.5mm 1/3" or equivalent should be fine.

Is this for daytime use, night time use, or both?

Both. Area will always have the same lighting conditions (lights on)

Would you be better off putting a water proof camera in a birdhouse, or a dog house, to disguise it?

Cant get away with that. It is almost a clean room environment, anything that would not normally be there will look out of place.

Why does it have to be covert? I am not being nosy, but it helps with product selection.

It is a trade union issue. Basically it needs to be housed in something that wont look out of place in the work environment, which is basically a PIR, a smoke detector, or a horn speaker. We have looked at putting it into an emergency light fitting but the electrical maintenance personnel might find it.

The main issue I have is finding a covert device that wont look out of place and has an IP65 rating.

It sounds like you may need to hide a camera in a metal box of some sort to "hide" it. If you are prone to fire then that means the covert smoke detector or the PIR motion may melt before you get the video shot that you are looking for. I am thinking that the plastic will melt in the way of the lens.

Metal box wont work as it will look out of place, and the product I put in will need to have the designated IP rating for the area or the client wont sign off the job.

Sorry for not being more specific initially. Again, any help appreciated.

Are these cooler rooms? 8 feet X 8 feet / 15' X 15', or is this an open warehouse that is refridgerated.

The reason I ask is that you may be able to hide a camera in the HVAC unit inside of the walk in. You can also hide it in an "electrical box" as those are common in walk ins.

If it is an open warehouse then putting a camera at the highest ceiling height, and using a zoom lens to get back down on the subject area would give you the "covert" set up without it being seen, and you can get the video shot that you need. You can shoot the camera across the warehouse to the opposite side. Do you have columns that may be an issue, or other hanging chains ect?

What do you think so far?

I'd guess that you will not find anything like this because there is little market for it. Coverts are usually made to look to blend into an office setting, and most people don't spray down their offices.

However, it should not be hard to adapt something like a PIR to waterproof. A little silicon caulk goes a long way.

How about fabricating a functioning industrial cold box thermometor with cam... Grainger and some other vendors has some black faced mechanical temp readers ,you could mount the the thermometer in a small plastic watertight nema box attach to the wall. conceal waterproof pinhole cam in there, wire it up to code and you are set to go. Wouldnt look outa place in a cold storage room.