Hi all,

As mentioned already in this section the current range of IP cams are not up to spec and if they are there very expensive.

I have a day/night auto switching cam at 500 tvl and would like to buy more, but I do wish they were wireless. Is it possible to buy a 'bolt on' Wireless IP transmitter for non IP cams ?

After a lot of searching I dont think it is, which brings me on to my next question - has anyone built a 4 channel 2.4 ghz tx rx system that will view all 4 cameras as seperate feeds, instead of the usual dwell switchers ?

If 4 seperate 2.4 ghz systems can be tuned to run independantly without cross interference I would consider making the system myself.

Cheers

Mick

I thought all 2.4Ghz wireless TX systems that have a 4 channel receiver, are seperate feeds, at least the ones i have used in the past. You get a Receiver that has 4 channels, and a TX that has 4 channels. One TX and one RX for each camera, 4 seperate channels (4 seperate video feeds) on the same frequency range. Then what you do with it after that is up to you, 4 channel multiplexer, 4 channel DVR/Mux, Quad, or switcher.

one way is geting a axis video server 1 or 4 ch or oem module or other brand

and one etherport wirelless module like, or other brand and poe module

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=333

i am going to do test on my axis 2401 and pelco dome so i do not need all wires ~5, video, rs485 serial,alarm,mic,speaker, only power wire needed if

not using battery and solar power charger

dusan

Compressed or UnCompressed, it's your choice. Video servers will allow you to broadcast back to any recording device that accepts a network connection. (and it will allow you to control image quality and fps).

We use this, coupled with NVR's to create a fully modular system. DVR's are useless to us since we add new cameras every week, and they are hardware limited.

Yeah, but Realtime wireless such as Video Comm / Trango is non compressed real time full sized video, thats what we use in the CCTV industry.

If DVRs are useless to you then you are not in the CCTV industry! Today they are the core of the industry.

Its nice to know that you can afford to add a new camera every week though, especially at the cost of an IP camera, or any high quality camera at that

DVRs are hardware limited? Once you have some idea of how many cameras you will need/can afford, then there it will never be an issue. Always buy a DVR that has more channels than you think you may need, just incase. Most if not all normal home users dont need more than 4 cameras, as they are not protecting the pentagon. If they think they do, you go up one step to a 9/10 channel.

IP cameras (web cams) are limited also, bandwidth (non real time over mutliple cameras), and then there is price for the cameras & the software, and then, there is still having to run cat 5 to each camera, unless you have cardboard boxed walls where you can use wireless networking .. If you have the infrastructure for Cat 5 then you normally can easily install RG59 there also, if not, use UTP/Cat5 devices for CCTV, such as active amplified TX/RXs. Eg. www.NVT.com / www.Nitek.com

There is still no point to IP cameras unless you are going to use them as a single camera application, long range wireless such as a bridge camera (etc), or record off site (eg, video monitoring station) but even that is not very reliable due to Internet issues such as the ISP going down, bottle necks etc.

But whatever scratches your itch, if you like IP cameras over CCTV, than thats fine. If you are doing Wirless, just keep it seperate as it is not CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), same goes with any Wireless Video.

Wireless Video on a whole is unreliable. It can always be hacked even with the latest encrypted technologies and jammers that are out now, not to mention all the extra work involved with having antennas at correct heights and line of site exact...

Basically, which ever Wireless Solution you decide to use, whether it is normal wireless CCTV, or Network Wireless Video, try to stay clear of wireless, it is a last resort, where you absolutely cannot run wire. This goes for everything wireless, including alarm systems.

Im not in the CCTV industry? That's news to me....

I do not use IP cameras, I use standard CCTV cameras that hook into video servers.

DVR's are hardware limited, compared to NVR's. It's true DVR's typically have more features and better interfaces, but NVR's are infinately expandable, as they are software based and are MUCH cheaper than DVR's. You can have 64 feeds fed through a relay server and recorded on a $4,000.00 NAS, for much cheaper than any DVR.

DVR's are simply not cost effective with the NVR's on the market, and how cheap storage is when you build your own NAS.

Our systems are portable, IE- Construction sites, police stakeouts, mobile homeland security. Generally no power is available where our units are placed.... DVR's are simply not ideal for mobile applications. Our NVR allows all video, no matter what city, state, etc. to come back to our central server farm.

Our wireless links are completely secure and we can get a 15 mile radius without any problems. Wireless is only a last resort, if you don't understand how it works. We have no reliability problems, don't know exactly where you are headed there.

Sorry thought you were talking about wireless or IP cameras.

Its good for mobile and portable, that I agree with. We have no call for mibile though in this country.

Sounds like you need alot of money to get into that though, farms of computers and long range wireless networks ?

Ofcourse would be ideal for a video monitoring set up, with existing local DVRs & cameras, to like you said a central server, with monthly recurring money, for those people that dont want to spend on a DVR. If you want to come down here and set up a video monitoring central station, with your own wireless network, or using existing cable internet, let me know, I can get the clients for that easily by utilizing my ties with the largest Alarm Monitoring company in this country. Noone is really doing it here yet, there are a couple that have maybe 2 or 3 clients operating out of their home PC, in other words not doing it properly..

Yeah, there are a few doing it here too, they have DVR's in the base of their units that standard fixed cameras record onto. Couple of times their equipment was unplugged, and then all their camera's and DVR were stolen. How ironic.

Ours Pelco cameras, video sever, and wireless equipment run on Solar so they can't unplug ours, but at the same time, it prohibits the use of any DVR's, IR equipment, etc. But we are looking into the FLIR thermal cameras that only take 1.5Watts.

The wireless equipment we are using is actually quite cheap. Something like $3,000 for our broadcast tower equipment, and $450 for each unit. We could get slightly less packet loss using equipment that is 3 times more expensive, but it isn't really cost effective for the mild performance boost.

We went to the ASIS show in Dallas,Tx, and found no one else was really doing what we were doing, so that was cool, and we also got to meet a lot of our suppliers.