jeromephone

A few notes on my first try at a municpal wireless system

We have finally got our proxim wireless system up with four PTZ cameras and I learned a few things some the hard way of course.

1. Mock up EVERYTHING in the shop get it all working and lable every piece of equipment with physical location IP address etc. Make sure you have dummy loads for the antennas as you can damage radios without them. Also be aware of RF dangers.

2. Make a spreadsheet of everything with mac address location IP etc

make copies and update if anything changes

3. Don't assume that the tecks can read.

4. Leave all the security, passwords etc in default until installed then when working turn it on all at once.

Print out those 500 page manuals. it is a pain trying to read everything from a laptop in the field.

5. call tech support early and often.

6. Have a laptop and router configured for in the field tech support also have long patch cords and crossover adaptors in case you have to physically connect to the routers or radios. I bought a cheap inverter and it will run my router and charge up the laptop.

7. Cameras Panasonic NS202A truly great camera

8. BOSCH dinion 455 IP version good camera but setting up was difficult you need the proper mix of java and active X or it will not work.

9 Proxim software has some quirks but reading the manuals solves most of the issues. Tech support is also very good.

10. Milestone software I had problems installing remote client and in talking to tech support, again very good, they told me to not install it as an ap on the server but as a service. The manual should have addressed this issue better. I have not sorted out all the settings on this software but it is not as intutive as it could be.

11. Project still has some loose ends mainly in deteriming if I have all the Access points and the backhaul running at max efficiency

12. mobil access point and a laptop work well but a sunshield or daylight viewable lcd would help.

13 I can post some pics of the radios and cameras installed if anyone wants to look at them.

Please post the pics, sounds like a very interesting project, thanks for the tips.