Sign in to follow this  
galen

Balums

Does anyone have a good source for VU Balums? I have an install that will need several. Trying to keep the cost down. Thanks.

Typical best price for a good quality balun is approximately $28. A number of distributors sell them for around that. We have used NVT, Vigitron, Samsung GVC and a few others and have found few differences between brands, despite some manufacturers' hype.

Does anyone have a good source for VU Balums? I have an install that will need several. Trying to keep the cost down. Thanks.

Passive or Active?

On passive side, I will strongly recommend baluns from videobaluns.com... very good product and comes with built in surge protector (unlike many who charge extra for them).. The pricing should be around $30.00 per pair (nobody buys them in singles anymore) and that gives you $15.00 per balun cost..

Another interesting feature for these baluns is that we extended them as far as 1,500' stretch and with no loss of the video signal... You will notice picture quality reduction over such a length.

On the active side, well, NVT is fairly good but expensive, and few others.. We use active baluns from American Fibertek and they are more cost effective and yet perform as good as NVT if not better.

One of the reasons I was considering the VU's was from my readings of your posts Levon. I value your opinion. My question was not what, but where, to acquire? Yes, passive.

One of the reasons I was considering the VU's was from my readings of your posts Levon. I value your opinion. My question was not what, but where, to acquire? Yes, passive.

Sorry bud... I thought it was a question as I understood it... Please PM me... I can get plenty of them for you..

Passive or Active?

On passive side, I will strongly recommend baluns from xxxxxx... very good product and comes with built in surge protector (unlike many who charge extra for them)..

How effective is the built in surge protection - as I don't see any path to ground?

I install in South Africa, which has a very high lightning incidence, 4-5 strikes per m2 annually in my city. Other areas as high as 13-15 strikes annually.

The built in surge protection devices we have used, have never delivered when the bolt strikes!