sinbad

Do I need Balun for the power too?

I see some Baluns coming with pig tails on them for power and some not.

I plan to power all cameras from one power supply. can I just connect a cat5 pair directly from the power supply to the camera or there is something going on inside the balun?

thanks in advance...

I'm not quite sure I understand your question but if the camera has separate connections for power, you can connect the power directly to those and use the CAT-5 and balun for just video. Or you can use 1 pair of a CAT-5 for video and run power on some or all of the other pairs.

i'm talking about standard 24V analog box camera.

I noticed Altronix have 12VDC and 24AC baluns, so was thinking I might need to pass the power through the balun as well.

Just hook up the CAT5E wires you are using for power to the power supply and camera. No need for a power balun, unless you want one. I've never used a balun for power.

thanks survtech for the chart. So (If I read it right the chart..) the max I can go with, for example, a 0.5Amp cam on 20AWG wire is 526 ft.

I think most cat5 are 24AWG so my distance is a bit lower I guess around the 500 ft.

Am I correct?

and if yes what can I do to extended the distance?

Does twisting 2 pairs of the 24AWG together gives me a 12 AWG wire?

Thanks for the help. this is kinda new to me and want to make sure i get it right

Here is a link to a calculator that will work down to 25 gauge wire:

http://www.video-insight.com/Support/Tools/Wire-Length-Calculator.aspx

Also, here is a calculator that tells you the result of combining 2 or more cables:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/awgcalculator.html

If you plug 2x24 gauge wires into the calculator, the result is 21 gauge; 3x24 = 19 gauge, etc.