gar32

Next steps in new business

Hi all,

Just going into my second year in this business. Getting a more regular supply of jobs now. Has anyone got any tips on equipment to use.

Should I try and use mains cameras rather than 12 Volt for commercial jobs?

What power supplys should I use? I'm using 12V 1.25a plug top for most at the minute

Do you use coax plus a seperate 2 core cable for power or use the integrated cctv coax?

I'll probably have a few more questions later

Thanks

I'm in the USA and 12 v cameras are good for most short to moderate cable runs. I like to run seperate cube supplies to each camera, (in the past I've had multi-camera supplies fail knocking out all the cameras verses independent supplies and loosing only one camera). For short runs usually the plug and play cables are OK. For longer runs use siamese cable with 18/2 power. Also for longer runs 24 volt cameras will take a larger voltage drop and keep working. As far as camera running on power mains, ( I assume you mean off local power outlets ) I dont recommend it. Also for professional results connect the cameras and DVR to a UPS supply so that the system will be up if the power should go down. Figure what has given you the best results and stick with it!

One way or another, You always pay for what you get.

I'm in the USA and 12 v cameras are good for most short to moderate cable runs. I like to run seperate cube supplies to each camera, (in the past I've had multi-camera supplies fail knocking out all the cameras verses independent supplies and loosing only one camera). For short runs usually the plug and play cables are OK. For longer runs use siamese cable with 18/2 power. Also for longer runs 24 volt cameras will take a larger voltage drop and keep working. As far as camera running on power mains, ( I assume you mean off local power outlets ) I dont recommend it. Also for professional results connect the cameras and DVR to a UPS supply so that the system will be up if the power should go down. Figure what has given you the best results and stick with it!

On the other hand, 24VAC power supplies are very simple, with almost no failure-prone parts. 12VDC power supplies have rectifiers, filters and voltage regulators; all parts that can fail, plus power transformer(s) and fuses.

24VAC power supplies usually consist of just a transformer (which have extremely low failure rates) and fuses (failure-prone but common to both types).

When installing camera housing would you get your logo and number sprayed on the outside for advertising or do you use stickers?

Do any of you get shop cctv warning signs made up with your logo on it?

I usually put a sticker on the DVR and or DVR lock box. In most business locations I post several signs that say surveillance cameras in use that has my business info on the bottom.

WARNING: I have posted them in several laundrymats that I've done.

My business phone number was on the signs.

I got many calls from this.

The big problem was the calls were: " The washing machine just took all my money and won't work, The dryer wont't dry my clothes, etc."

My phone number is now only in the room where the equipment is.

The signs now just have the name of my business and the city and state.

I have just started on my own after 20 years with ADT !

I had all these big ideas to use the best camera best dvr etc etc but when it comes down to it most customers look at the bottom line ! All you can do is steer them in the right direction but in the end more often than not I end

using budget cameras and DVR's.

To be fair some of the cheaper cameras are good (520TVL) for £60 / $120 but I find the DVR takes a big chunk of the cost. I was trying to specify DM (don't shoot me down in flames) I find them very user friendly and simple to use but I now use the Apollo range from DigitalVideos which are a standard box out of Korea but rebadged these cost £399 instead of £1000 from DM.

It is very difficult to educate customers when they can by cheap cheap cheap wireless cameras from Home Depot

Good Hunting

Thanks for the replies.

Do you use individual PSU for each cameras or would you use a larger PSU to power more than one camera?

Cheers!!

I always have 4 cameras MAX,, per supply but I guess it depends on location and distance and current draw of cameras, some high power bullets can draw an amp.

On a typical Residential property I home run all the power but on larger Commercial and cetainly when installing PTZ's or SpeedDomes I like to install the PSU local the camera !

If the budget and space allows 1 camera = 1 PSU if the power supply fails it doesn't knock out the other cameras

Hope this helps

AL