Claudio Catanzaro

are lenses mounts standard?

I need to put some wide angle cameras (more than 120 degrees).

I have some cmos dome cameras from STV and I want to buy some 120 degrees lenses for this cameras. What must I know to find the right lens? How can I know which lens will fit my camera?

Thankyou for your answers

Claudio Catanzaro

I need to put some wide angle cameras (more than 120 degrees).

I have some cmos dome cameras from STV and I want to buy some 120 degrees lenses for this cameras. What must I know to find the right lens? How can I know which lens will fit my camera?

Thankyou for your answers

Claudio Catanzaro

Lenses have their standart called "CS". If you camera does support CS lens then you can buy any CS lens and swap it.

In CCTV there are two lens mount types, C and CS. They are the same thread so you can screw a C mount lens onto a CS mount camera and vice versa but you may not be able to focus it.

C and CS are nothing to do with the thread but refer to the back focus distance, the distance between the rear flange of the lens and the CCD. I can't remember the distances but they differ by about 5mm, with CS being the shorter distance.

Some cameras can adjust the position of the CCD to cope with both C and CS lenses. Some can't. If they can't the camera is usually CS mount only, as you can still use a C mount lens on a CS mount camera if you fit a 5mm spacer between the camera and the lens. I think I got that the right way round.

Anyway my point is, there are two types and you need to check which your camera takes.

1/3" 4mm is approx 70 degrees, 1/3" 2.8 is approx 90 degrees, finding 120 degree lenses may be difficult.

You could search for 1/3" 1.8 fish eye lenses though, that might cut it.

More than likely your dome is a 1/4" Fixed Lens CMOS.

Check it first, then send that info to a reseller to see what fish eye lenses they have that will fit your camera.

if you can post the exact brand and model of your dome that would help us.

No idea what STV is.

If they can't the camera is usually CS mount only, as you can still use a C mount lens on a CS mount camera if you fit a 5mm spacer between the camera and the lens. I think I got that the right way round.

Anyway my point is, there are two types and you need to check which your camera takes.

That's correct.

However, there are a couple of others, specifically for "chip" cameras. Those won't apply if you get a "standard mount" camera, which usually use CS, but beware when buying cheap cameras with integral fixed focus lenses.

However, there are a couple of others, specifically for "chip" cameras. Those won't apply if you get a "standard mount" camera, which usually use CS, but beware when buying cheap cameras with integral fixed focus lenses.

Oh yes. I guess there are now a lot of what I would call barrel mount lenses out there. Ones that screw onto a board mount rather than to the camera chassis.

I bet a high percentage of cameras built nowadays are basically board cameras in a box and use barrel mounts rather than the lenses I was used to.