gexamb

combine direct dvr feed w/ multiple net software one monitor

i need to connect a live direct feed from my standalone dvr to a large screen monitor with a vga cable or dvi if needed. i think this dvr is linux based. now i also need to share this same monitor with 2 net viewing security programs. is there a way to share this direct feed with a computer that will allow me to watch my net software cameras and my direct feed cameras on one monitor? it is a 27" lcd tv. thx for your help.

You could take the composite video output of the DVR, and you can hook it up to this..

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103065&cp=&sr=1&origkw=composite+distribution&kw=composite+distribution&parentPage=search

then you can hook this up to several composite input monitors.

I would take one of the camera loop outs and then I would attach it to a web server for ip video. You could do the same with a multi screen from the DVR video output as well.

Then there are items like this that can make a project interesting...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2284675&cp=2032057.2032187.2032188.2032195&parentPage=search&sr=1&origkw=composite+distribution&kw=composite+distribution&parentPage=family

What do you think?

thx for replying but i cant go with that setup. I need to have my feeds connected to one lcd monitor.

this is the setup:

1 standalone dvr with vga output to the lcd monitor (direct feed, not network feed). then i also need to run windows on this monitor thru a computer i have so i can view my remote surveillances thru the internet. so i need to get my direct feed from the dvr and 2 net viewing programs to display on one 27" lcd tv. i hope someone has an answer.

How about a KVM switch?

I also look at various remote dvrs.

I bring up four AVTech DVRs by remote software.

I place APs in each corner of my screen. I do this with my local DVR as well, rather than live feed. With it being local I do not have any lag time as the video is off the lan, and not the wan.

thx for responding to my questions.

what exactly is an AP? i was thinking of a switch option but my boss wants to have all feeds showing at the same time. the main reason he needs the direct feed thru vga is because there is no lag time. because there is lag time on the other two internet viewing remote software and he does not want this. i dont know if a dvr can even share widows desktop on monitor. is there a way to maybe spilt the screen in half or something? talking nonsense now, lol.

thank you for your time.

Most of my customers do not have exotic internet connections. Some have static IPs.

I believe that you are always going to have some lag time watching video over the internet.

Jpeg DVRs that I have used will give somewhat of a realtime view of what is going on, and the trade off is that the video appears somewhat "grainy".

I have some other DVRs where you can count every leaf on a tree, but the video appears more of a series of snapshots of pictures.

As to having the DVR video on your desktop. You would have to minimize your browser, and then use the cursor, and right click on the edges, and then you will have to drag to the left, or right to get the browser screen to be half of your monitor space, and then the video can sit in the unused portion, and then you would have a "split" screen. The disadvantage to this is that you have to scroll left, and right to read emails, and websites, but then you could maximize the screen momentarly, and then go back to a minimized screen when you are done.

AP (application)

AP is the software that we put on to our computers so that we can remotely see AVTech DVRs, and CPCam DVRs.

Some DVRs will use Video Server S, and others will use Video Server E.

For the entry level priced market there are customers that like the AVTech DVRs. You hit the icon on your desktop, and you punch in your password, and then you see your video in a small window. I would say it is about 1/4 the monitor size of your screen. This is where I place 4 of them in each "corner" of my monitor screen. I have my cable T.V. fed in to one of my DVR channels, and with the remote Application I can hit that "camera" channel, and then I can see what going on in the news. If there is that BREAKING NEWS! Then I can turn to my TV, and watch there instead of on my remote ap. I watch the weather to keep on eye on thunder storms. Here in Florida a thunder storm can pop up out of no where, and I may have some techs up on a ladder, and I can give them a heads up about incoming rain. I can also tell them to avoid such, and such road as there is blockage with an accident, and if a fatality was involved then that road will be closed for at least 4 hours while the police investigate.

i forgot to mention. this computer is only going to be dedicated for dvr viewing. the monitor is just constantly going to be showing net viewing software and the direct feed. nothing else. so how can i exactly split the screen? and what equipment do i need? thx

each program will fill up enough space for a 15" monitor and the direct dvr feed will fill up whatever screen it is hooked up to. but if it is split screen, it will fill up i guess only half of the screen. the only reason im doing this is because my boss has like 3-4 monitors constantly on to watch his security cameras only. so i need to incorporate these three feeds into one monitor for ease of use. so how can i split the screen? thank you again.

If there was a way of getting a composite video from your remote DVRs then I would try this.

I think this would only work with IP cameras where you have a box that unconverts the digital back to analog.

You could take 4 analog composite video feeds, and you can hook them up to a mulitplexor, and then put this on to a monitor.

This would give you four equal squares of video.

I would not know how to do this with off site DVRs.

i have an idea. lets consider this monitor i want to use has multiple inputs ports which it does. lets say i hook up the computer that will show the net viewing programs with dvi or vga onto the monitor. then i wanted to connect the direct dvr feed with a vga or dvi to the same monitor. is there a way to split the monitor in half? like one half of the monitor displays the vga input, and the other half display the dvi input or any other input for that matter? is this possible?

i get what ur saying with the multiplexer but that does not incorporate the remote feds i need.

This would depend on the monitor.

Many TVs today have pip (or pp) built in.

Take Sony for example. They have it where you press options on your remote control. A side bar comes up, and you scroll to pp, and another screen comes up. You now have two pictures on your screen. You can control either screen by pressing the right button, or the left button. When you toggle to the right you can contol what "input" will give you a video feed. Press input and a sidebar comes up and you can select from composite, component, or HDMI input. Then you can toggle to the left, and do the same thing.

Now the best part! Press the up, or the down button and it will change the size of your screens. You can have two equal screens side by side, or you can make one more "dominate" then the other.

As you toggle to the left, or to the right then the sound (built in to the tv, and not from a receiver) will follow the which screen is "active".

I do not know how your monitor is setup so I cannot tell you if you can do it or not.

I do not know of a DVR that has DVI, or component output that I am aware of, but it would be nice!

thank you for your help, but it turns out i do not need this setup anymore. were gona go ahead and go with separate 19" lcd monitors for each feed. thank you anyway.

would u like me to post up a picture when im done with my setup? im going to be using splitters for each feed, as three feeds will go to one room and another three to another room.

is this a good splitter to use for my feeds?

i cant post a link so it is at monoprice dot com model: 2-Way SVGA VGA Splitter Amplifier Multiplier 400 MHz - Black

what is a cheap alternative new viewing software i can use to view my cameras? the software i ahve is giving me technical errors. since i need to use multiple monitors i need to have 2 vga cards. and my software goes crazy and gives me memory errors when two vga card drivers are intsalled. i need another program so that i can use with multiple monitors/cards.

are there any softwares out there?

Which DVR do you have?

With Stand Alone DVRs, typically you are stuck with what comes with it.

its a no name brand dvr. i do not have any documentation of the brand of the dvr because the installer did not supply us with it. so there is no work around? cant i just use the ip address, user name, password, and port number to login with on some other program? and btw the current software i have does not tell me which port it works on. can i find out some how with a certain type of software which port is being used when my current dvr program is running?

thank you for your response.

if would normally say if it has a web browser application, so it probably doesnt, but you can try the IP in Internet Explorer and see if anything comes up.

If you can get a screen shot of the app or even a photo of the DVR then we might be able to tell which DVR it is, then go from there.

Rory