able1

PAL Camera Question

I have searched the site but could not find the direct answer to this small delima.

Just had a conversation with a potential customer that wants me to install some cameras he has that are in PAL format.

Since I know only that I have never used a PAL camera I am trying to figure out what can I do with them. So here are the questions that I have.

1) If the DVR can programmed to record in PAL and it is running in the US at 115v 60Hz will the output give me a picture??

2) Is there a "device" that will convert from PAL to NTSC???

3) Should I have litttle concern here?

4) Am I missing something that I need to learn. (Teach me)

Thanks in advance.

Les

I run an NTSC system at home in a PAL country, the worst of everything but I already had the cameras.

1) there is no connection between supply voltage and video type. Assuming you are monitoring off the TV output you will get a PAL signal so you need a multisystem TV.

2) without doubt, but likely cheaper to buy the multisystem TV, unless you have more than one monitor. Thankfully, all our TV's here are multisystem.

3) the main issue is how you will use the system. If needed can you provide evidence from the DVR as a data file, which normally doesn't care about such things?

Oh, I should add that the PAL cameras will need to be internally synced, not off an 24 VAC 60hz line if applicable.

I run an NTSC system at home in a PAL country, the worst of everything but I already had the cameras.

1) there is no connection between supply voltage and video type. Assuming you are monitoring off the TV output you will get a PAL signal so you need a multisystem TV.

2) without doubt, but likely cheaper to buy the multisystem TV, unless you have more than one monitor. Thankfully, all our TV's here are multisystem.

3) the main issue is how you will use the system. If needed can you provide evidence from the DVR as a data file, which normally doesn't care about such things?

Oh, I should add that the PAL cameras will need to be internally synced, not off an 24 VAC 60hz line if applicable.

Thanks for the reply.

These cameras are all 12VDC so the sync issue should not be an issue.

I did find out today today that a Everfocus DVR has a VGA 800x600 output. So as I understand it, I could plug in the PAL cameras and get output on this VGA output.

Now here is the twist. I can seem to find a VGA monitor that will operate on a 800x600 resolution.

So can anyone suggest a source for or a manufacture and model of such a monitor??

And here I thought this was going to be easy.

Thanks in advance.

Les

Any modern "VGA" monitor should work at 800 x 600, it's a VESA standard resolution.

What you might be thinking is that the native resolution of most decent-sized current LCD monitors is greater than that, so it will not be quite as sharp when it re-maps the 800 x 600. However, you should try it. I think it will be fine.

Any modern "VGA" monitor should work at 800 x 600, it's a VESA standard resolution.

What you might be thinking is that the native resolution of most decent-sized current LCD monitors is greater than that, so it will not be quite as sharp when it re-maps the 800 x 600. However, you should try it. I think it will be fine.

Kiwi,

I hear what your saying, but from what I have been told and it seems to be working out that way. The newer monitors spec out 1280 x720 or above and because the 800 x 600 is rarely used any more the mfg's have stopped making it available. It is like the way of the 8 track tape. (if you ever had them where you are)

What you say is encouraging but I am still challenged here. More investigation is required.

Really looking for a mfg./model number that I can sink my teeth into.

Anyone??

Thanks,

Les

The newer monitors spec out 1280 x720 or above and because the 800 x 600 is rarely used any more the mfg's have stopped making it available. It is like the way of the 8 track tape. (if you ever had them where you are)

Les

If you buy a normal aspect ratio monitor (4:3 I think,) it should work. Either a 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 native resolution. I don't think the world of PC standards has changed. All IBM-compatible PC's boot at 640 x 480 since VGA was invented in 1987, so the monitors have to deal with that resolution until the 32-bit video driver loads. That isn't the problem, it's the clarity (or lack of) resulting from the monitor up-converting to its native resolution. Borrow a monitor and try it.

yep, 8-tracks were even found down here...

PAL signals are analog, nothing to do with VGA.

if you view a NTSC signal on a PAL system it will have no color as the CB freq is different as are the lines. most TVs etc auto switch these days

yes you can buy converters but the DVR might work anyway ? check first

some cams can switch also.

PAL cams dont need to be 'synced' unless your trapped in 1960

z

Thanks for the input. I will have to come up with some plan here. Experimenting is not the greatest option.

Thanks again.

Les