radman

Flaring

I have a Panasonic WV-CP484E which monitors my front drive and works very well but suffers from flaring from a street light and headlights, when it's a bit foggy the problem is worse I am using a none IR lens is this the problem or is it me not having the camera settings correct? I am not using IR lighting. Thanks for any suggestions . John.

Had the same problem with sanyo D-N cams, you just need to get the IR

lighting level up -then the camera will adjust the gain .

-cars would drive past and just the brake lights would flare like crazy.

After a large IR unit [30deg -850nm] fixed it.

-but watch out you can have too much IR ,needs to be adjusted

now I have another problem the IR to color switchover take 10 seconds !

[when the security lights turn on]

z

Hi thanks for the info the only problem is the street light is over the road and about 60m away! so if I flood the majority of the near content of the area are you saying the camera would compensate for the distant none IR illuminated areas headlight etc? If I use IR lighting I would need an IR lens? Thanks. John.

yes it should match up, but don't get suckered into some mega watt IR unit

you need an even spread like the extreme ones or cantronics

have to bring the IR level right up everywhere [a spotlight will be useless]

>the sanyo has a IR lens [4-9mm] and mechanical IR cut filter

z

Hi Z the Panasonic spec is very good also uses a switchable mechanical filter, I have looked at IR Illuminators and most over here are fairly narrow beam so I am thinking of building my own but I will have a look on the web. I need a minimum 3.5mm I would like to fit a 2.8mm so I will see who has a IR at 2.8 DC Varifocal as the camera I want to use in place of the Panasonic is a Sanyo VCC-4795P and suffers from similar problems but has a lot more grain under low light conditions! John.

As zmxtech has pointed out the camera is applying too much gain to the highlighted areas. This is causing them to flare, but it does it as the average of the scene is dark. If you increase the lighting in the scene the camera will apply less gain and hence less flare.

Other alternatives are to try setting the gain down. I think it is a setting on that camera. This will make the scene darker but it should reduce the flare.

I remember the SD II camera had a 48 grid blc, that could also help if it is on your camera. If it is you need to tell the camera to weight the areas with the lights more than the areas without. This can reduce the gain applied.

Last one, if you have a video iris lens it will have a Pk-Av adjustment. If so adjust it to Pk, this will force the camera to expose the peaks at the expense of the average. That would reduce the flare.