cachecreekcctv

Plextor Hardware Encoder-Tigerdirect

Just saw that the Plextor PX-TVM402U USB Hardware Encoder is on sale, big time, at Tigerdirect.com. Only $80 after rebates. This model has a built-in TV Tuner, along with the ability to encode to Divx ,Mpg1Mpg2,Mpg4 in different video settings. You can basically input any video/audio via RCA jack inputs, and this will encode to your HD via USB port. I use this unit quite often. Take it with me when a customer has an older time-lapse or outdated DVR system, in order to make a Video CD/DVD for their use. I can take the output directly from a DVR /VHS to this hand-held encoder, and make a video CD or a DVD in a format that can be read by DVD player or PC. Worth every dime I paid for this unit. Keep your TIVO's, this has built-in TV tuner , so I set up my TV recordings, record to Divx format. If I want to save the TV shows, I can write to DVD easily. Encoded all my Home/Family movies to HD, and then wrote to DVD as backup. Worth a look at this, if you have never had a Hardware Encoder before. Merry Christmas !!

Just saw that the Plextor PX-TVM402U USB Hardware Encoder is on sale, big time, at Tigerdirect.com. Only $80 after rebates. This model has a built-in TV Tuner, along with the ability to encode to Divx ,Mpg1Mpg2,Mpg4 in different video settings. You can basically input any video/audio via RCA jack inputs, and this will encode to your HD via USB port. I use this unit quite often. Take it with me when a customer has an older time-lapse or outdated DVR system, in order to make a Video CD/DVD for their use. I can take the output directly from a DVR /VHS to this hand-held encoder, and make a video CD or a DVD in a format that can be read by DVD player or PC. Worth every dime I paid for this unit. Keep your TIVO's, this has built-in TV tuner , so I set up my TV recordings, record to Divx format. If I want to save the TV shows, I can write to DVD easily. Encoded all my Home/Family movies to HD, and then wrote to DVD as backup. Worth a look at this, if you have never had a Hardware Encoder before. Merry Christmas !!

----------------------------------------------------------

you probably mean Plextor PX-TV402U

good price thx for tip

but unit does not convert to HD only to D1

you probably mean Plextor PX-TV402U

good price thx for tip

but unit does not convert to HD only to D1

The video wont be more than D1 as its coming from a DVR

The video wont be more than D1 as its coming from a DVR

that what i sad in my post Rory

Oh okay .. just saw the quote, maybe he is encoding HD movies then ..

I think im going to buy one of them, could use it for getting video off the GE units ..

Quality isn't as good as the Hauppauge PCI cards but it's not bed either. Since this is USB it is portable and laptop friendly, good deal for <$100 for sure.

Yes, I think 740 X 480 is all I can get out of it, but definitely satisfactory for my use. I believe it is still the only "Divx Certified" USB capture device. I have done tests on the same movie, encoded in MPEG2 and Divx. Can't tell the difference in video/audio quality, but can save quite a bit of HD space, a lot. Portability is the main selling point on this, fits in my laptop bag. I also have a Happauge WinTV-PVR that I use, mainly because of it came with a remote control for TV tuning. Still like my Plextor better. I haven't come across any sort of DVR/VHS system, that I cannot capture video , taken directly from the output of the recording device. Some of my customers, who are waiting for their ancient VHS systems to "expire" before they purchase DVR, are always amazed by how fast I can make a Video CD for them with my laptop . I might contact Plextor and ask for sales commission, as I know at least 10 people who have bought these after watching mine at work.

"HD, in this case, was short for "Hard Drive". I encoded my home movies to my PC Hard Drive. Would be pretty hard to take an old tape-type system(s) and make High-Def out of it.