scorpion

AVTech Website changes

If you are using this link

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/product_13.htm

You can now use this link

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/cctv.aspx?Type=3&Type2=2

http://www.avtech.com.tw/english/news.aspx

These have not changed, but I threw them in if you do not have them.

CPCam Hong Kong

http://www.cpcam.com.hk/eng/CCTV_System_Digital_Product.htm

CPCam New York

http://www.cpcamnewyork.com/

IFSEC

http://www.avtech.com.tw/image/product_pic/news/08_ifsec.jpg

They are the manufacture. They sell to distributors, and resellers. It is the resellars responcibilty to set up their own tech support. There is no way that they could support one million calls per day!

That is the unfortunate by product of low cost sales! The cheap vendors do not make enough of a markup to pay for a staff to be on hand to answer questions, and to put up a webpage with the proper information, or they just do not care about support.

The other problem with people having full access to all firmware, may cause individuals to install a firmware that they do not understand causing their system to go down. You have to know which firmware to use, and how to use it.

Thank you for the appreciation of my website. I wish I could put more information on the page, but I do not have the time to do so. I wish I could do more to provide help!

They are the manufacture. They sell to distributors, and resellers. It is the resellars responcibilty to set up their own tech support. There is no way that they could support one million calls per day!

That is the unfortunate by product of low cost sales! The cheap vendors do not make enough of a markup to pay for a staff to be on hand to answer questions, and to put up a webpage with the proper information, or they just do not care about support.

The other problem with people having full access to all firmware, may cause individuals to install a firmware that they do not understand causing their system to go down. You have to know which firmware to use, and how to use it.

Thank you for the appreciation of my website. I wish I could put more information on the page, but I do not have the time to do so. I wish I could do more to provide help!

1. No, it is not the resellers responsability unless avtech specifies that (I didn't see that on their site). They should choose the reseller companies and service should become mandatory for them but avtech must publish a list of these resellers.

1.1 If avtech would take one million calls per day this would mean that they are in big trouble (speaking of reliability)

2. Upgrading firmware is not a scary thing. It is easy if you make a device which is easily to upgrade: firmware identifier not to complicated, device selfprotected to wrong firmware, keep public the history of versions ans so on. If you give much information to users the rate of failure will be very low (in situations of power loss during upgrading...).

But I think avtech/resellers thinks different: no need to upgrade (no headache) and service means replace device (it's cheaper than service team)

3. Congratulations for your site... It's a gold mine...

I couldn't agree more.

and concerning the "risk" of firmware-upgrades...

Everybody is doing this already for years: pc-manufactorers, active network-components, pda's, phones,....

so indeed just a matter of a professional approach. I work for 20 years in IT, so I know what I am talking about...

Scorpion, where do you get your firmwares? found them on the web or you have a special access with the vendors? Does Avtech releases versions on a regular base for their products or do you get them from other sources? Tnx.

1. No, it is not the resellers responsability unless avtech specifies that (I didn't see that on their site). They should choose the reseller companies and service should become mandatory for them but avtech must publish a list of these resellers.

1.1 If avtech would take one million calls per day this would mean that they are in big trouble (speaking of reliability)

2. Upgrading firmware is not a scary thing. It is easy if you make a device which is easily to upgrade: firmware identifier not to complicated, device selfprotected to wrong firmware, keep public the history of versions ans so on. If you give much information to users the rate of failure will be very low (in situations of power loss during upgrading...).

But I think avtech/resellers thinks different: no need to upgrade (no headache) and service means replace device (it's cheaper than service team)

3. Congratulations for your site... It's a gold mine...

I beg, I borrow, and I steal.

What allows my site to "operate" is that I do not pay for the hosting of the website.

The issues that I have is the amount of space where I can store documents such as the manuals, and other PDFs, the video servers, and the Video viewers ect.

I am about as maxed out as can be.

I find it ironic (actually embarrasing) is that the sight is titled Home Theater, and yet I have more CCTV stuff, and a library of AVTech stuff.

I have pulled manuals such as the foreign language ones from every site I could Google. Sometimes I find them by accident while researching something else. I admit to "pilfering".

What is ironic is lately I have found "my" manuals on other sites. What is funny is that there is a CMS manual that I posted only for "research", or nostalgic purposes. This product never came to market, and then it was abandoned. Another CMS has been produced, and I do see a lot of the "genetics" from the older manual, and the new one performs with Video Server E, the newer DVRs, and it works with the H264 models!

There is a website that "pilfered" from my site, and they posted the dead CMS manual. LOL! I fell out of my chair on that one laughing!

I have since found my words quoted word for word on websites, and I have seen where they were converted to word documents.

I have kept quite about it as I am as guilty as I accuse them! I would at least ask for permission to repost from an author to my website, or reword a paragraph from another source.

I only wonder if there are any liabilities for me when I see someone copying my word for word.

If there is no liability then what is the harm? My whole purpose was to "gather" all of the AVTech info in to one usuable place for the masses.

You would not know the anguish I have gone through trying to find foreign language manuals.

My business itself does not support the website for the masses as I do not do the volume in sales verses the volume of time downloading to a computer, and reloading to a document section of the website, and then building, and editing webpages. I have plenty of "abandoned" pages that have the "This webpage is under construction".

I have never been able to come up with the time to finish the 4 channel DVR parts list. I have a ton of documents on all of the parts.

I could even tell you what parts to change if the hard drive does not communicate to the DVR, or if the DVR does not communicate to the LAN/WAN.

Here is where the problem lays. I will not CHARGE to download a manual.

These are not my manuals. I would rather keep a low profile with AVTech.

So far it appears that I have not done anything that has given them concern. Perhaps I have "lighten" there techsupport load, and they "secretly" support my efforts. I have communicated with them, and I know they are aware of my efforts, but that does not make my site Legitimate. I do not think AVTech would like it if I charged to down load manuals, and servers, and firmware.

There was a round of issues with firmware, and with some of the DVRs that tanked due to wrong firmwares. I do not have the time to answer all of the email request that I get in regards to tech support requests. I really do answer all of them, and I have had the most trouble with the firmwares. Not a problem with the firmware themselves, but with the people who contact me. I never hear from the computer experts who can handle firmware updates, or changes, I never here from other resellers, or vendors (or at least only on the first call). I get multiples of emails from the same person over, and over, and over. I do not mind helping I just do not know how to hire someone to take over my "job" at scorpion (OK I admit it! I just sit in a office and I go to the forum all day)! I would get fired at any other job!! LOL!

If I hired someone to only deal with the tech support request from the website then I need to find an ROI that would satisfy everyone. I am not going to hire a minimum wage person to do this. I want to find someone that can handle everything from how to network, to FTP, to cell phone setups. I would really hate to put on the website "DONATIONS ACCEPTED"! I would not like to beg! OK. At least not yet!

Believe it or not I almost shut the whole website down last Sept. I was debating about renewing the URL. Turns out it did not expire in 08, and it expires in 09. The site has a one year reprieve for me to figure out an ROI. I do not know if I want google ads on the site or not. I may have to bow to the pressure, and do so. The day I do that will be a sad day for me. (My wife will be trying to figure in sequence how she is going to spend that money! LOL)! My wife wants me to hire someone so "she can have her husband back who she lost to the internet"! LOL!

That has been a pain for me. I have wanted to travel to every cell phone provider in town and find out what cellphones work with the AVTEch DVRs, and what plans a person would need in order for it to work.

I do not have enough customers with that request, and I have waited to see if anyone posted to the forum with good results.

I have not done squat! I am ashamed that I cannot answer those that are in need. I have a customer who has a Blackberry Storm that they cannot get to work with an AVC 760A. What to do, what to do? I am thinking down the road of the people who play games on cellphones. It appears from those forums that they have found work arounds for JAVA issues ect.

When I find time, I will sit down, and read those forums, and see what I can come up with.

I follow the trends of questions from the posters at the forum, and from my website, and I go after the biggest problem, and I try to find the resolution, and get the information to the website as fast as time will allow me.

Thank you to all of the AVTech vendors who have helped me. Thank you to all of the forum members who have allowed me to "copy, and paste", and thank you to those who respond with the "you solved my problem"! I really love knowing that someone ran in to a brickwall, and we could get them going again.

Perhaps someday I will be authorized to down load from AVTech's FTP site.

I wonder what I could post if I had true access!!!!! HMMM!! I would probably crash their server trying to download everything on the first day!! LOL!!

Again,

Thank you everyone!