wilson

avc777 Rec. Problem , Please Help(continued)

HI, I AM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS WITH RECORDING. I HAVE DEACTIVATED CAMERAS 2-16, AND HAVE SET THE HDD TO OVERWRITE BUT ARE ONLY GETTING 5 DAYS OF RECORDING. THE OLDEST DATE (ABOUT 5 DAYS) GETS WRITTEN OVER AND DISSAPEARS FROM FULL LIST SECTION. THE PROBLEM IS EITHER WITH THE HARD DRIVE, THE UNIT ITSELF OR THE PROGRAMMING. DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME MORE ADVICE. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME. WILSON

I truley do not know. I have never ran one camera off of a 16 channel device. I would imagine there would be some "overhead" due to 16 channels. I would say that 5 days of recording would sound "normal" even though you are only using one camera.

Then again it depends on the settings. I assume you are running the highest level of quality "BEST", and that you are set at 25A fps. "A" meaning audio. Take it down one notch, and see if the audio might be storing "noise" even though you do not have any mics hooked up to it. What do you have the "alarm duration" set at? One minute? Go to menu, then go to System, then go to alarm duration, and change it to 10, or 15 seconds of record time, on activation. Is this camera mounted outside, and pointed at a busy road? You would be recording for one minute every time a car came by, plus the redundant audio noise. Make those tweaks, and lets see what happens!

I do not know how much gigabytes of information it stores on a daily basis for one camera. I would have to agree with you that it does seem short for only 5 days of recording.

I am wondering if it is more of a situation where it records so many "units" of activity, and you are filling up pages, and pages of activity. Once you have filled so many "units", and maxed out the pages of recording it may not record anymore than the maximum number of units that it can hold.

Could it be that it is still recording, but it is not included in the full list? If not then the list is full, and no other recordings can take place.

What do you think?

Well,

I'm not so sure there is anything wrong.

Here are a couple of things to consider.

When you changed the settings on the 15 non used camera inputs the HDD was already full and was overwriting. It will take some time to overwrite all of the old video with the new video, especially since the new video is recording at a much smaller rate since now there is only one camera. That is, it will take less space for more days of stored video so it's going to take a while to overwrite the 16 cameras worth of data that's already on the drive.

You should see the time available slowly get longer and longer until it reaches it's maximum. You should know you have reached it's equilibrium when your earliest video is dated after you turned off the non used camera inputs.

As I mentioned in the other post I'm not familiar with the programing on this DVR.

With some machines you just program them to not record. On other machines you have to set the record quality to it's lowest for each camera and set the record rate to zero for each camera to really shut it off. I usually shut them off & set the quality & record rates to minimums. Also make sure you have disabled motion and loss of signal for each of these inputs.

Another possible factor is the size of the HDD, only 120Gigs, and the recording format. Some formats don't compress as efficiently as others and therefore create a larger file size which fills up the HDD faster.

The instruction manual or the manufacturer's web site usually has a calculator available so you can estimate how many days you should be getting for the number of cameras and settings you have. Motion settings can mess this estimate up however.

Let me know how it works out.

I have a 4ch DVR with a 160GB hd recording 30 frames per second total - I get about 2 days history.

My main DVR has 9 channels, 25fps total and the 500GB hard drive lasts about 10 days, maybe 2 weeks depending on the amount of motion.

How much motion is seen by this one camera? If you are filming a road with passing cars then it will take much more stoage space than filming an empty room with no motion.

HI, I HAVE DROPPED THE FPS FROM 18A TO 5FPS, AND ADDED A SECOND CAMERA. THE ALARM WAS A 30 SECS, ALTHOUGH I DONT THINK THAT MATTERS SINCE I HAVE BEEN RECORDING CONT. (EXCEPT EACH TIME I CHECK FULL LIST).THE FULL LIST STILL HAS SPACE FOR MORE UNITS/LISTINGS. THE CAMERA(S) GET LOW- MEDIUM AMOUNT OF MOTION, A BIT OF MOVING TREES, A FEW CARS.

MAYBE EVERY THING IS NORMAL AND IT WILL TAKE A WHILE TO GRADUALLY OVERWRITE. THAT WAS A GOOD THEORY THAT MAKES SENSE. I'LL POST AGAIN IN 5 DAYS HOPING THAT THE RECORDING TIME HAS EXTENDED AND ALL IS FINE.

THANKS TO ALL THE RESPONDANTS; SCORPION, GYRO GEARLOOSE

AND SCRUIT. YOUR HELP HAS BEEN GREAT. WILSON.

Great! Sounds Good!

I would mask off those trees, and shrubs that move with the wind as well.

Have a Happy New Year!

I have a 4ch DVR with a 160GB hd recording 30 frames per second total - I get about 2 days history.

Difference is the recording format

jpeg

mjpeg

mpeg or mpeg4,

Also depends on amount of movement, all of my customers dvr's differ in recording depending on activity etc,

I always found to get more out of my geo systems running mpeg4 or better, then any standalone,

I used to like to for their price, but now Im in the market as a major player I dont bother with crap - its to painful later

LOL!

I stick to my minor player league's crap as long is there is a market, demand, and I can make a profit, and I can make a customer happy!

LOL!

LOOKS LIKE I'LL GET 17+ DAYS FOOTAGE ON MY 2 CAMS, 5FPS ,BEST REC. RESOLUTION, 120GB. THAT COMPARES WITH SCRUITS 4CH, 160GB, 30FPS, 2 DAYS. THINGS THERE ARE FINE AND THATS GREAT.

I WAS ALSO WONDERING WHAT SETTING IS BEST TO UTILIZE 480TVL. BEST IS FOR 576TVL, THEREFORE HIGH SEEMS THE RIGHT CHOICE.

JUST FOR THE RECORD, I READ THAT CHANGING FROM BEST TO HIGH ADDS 25% TO RECORDING TIME, AND FROM BEST TO NORMAL DOUBLES RECORDING TIME. AND ALSO AUDIO ACCOUNTS FOR 12.5FPS.

SOON I'LL GET TO MASKING/ELIMINATING THOSE MOVING TREES AND SHRUBS, WHICH I RECKON WILL ADD DAYS. PLUS I'LL DROP FROM BEST TO HIGH, AND GET A BIGGER HDD. . FURTHER ALONG THE TRACK I'LL GET TO MOTION TRIGGER.

I WONDER WHAT THE BIGGEST HDD I CAN GET THESE DAYS. AM I CORRECT SAYING APPROX 500GB. IN THE PAST IT WAS 240GB.

ALSO, DOES IT JUST HAVE TO BE AN IDE OR EIDE TYPE, OR DOES UTMA 66 ABOVE MEAN SOMETHING.

THANK AGAIN TO ALL. LOL! WILSON