CT

BNC cable question

I have a question for the pro installers out there. I am redoing the cctv setup at my work. The first thing I did was move the DVR to a spot where we could actually have a keyboard, mouse and monitor hooked up to it. Its a PC -Geovision DVR. Now the problem is, some of the cables won't reach to the new location. The important ones do so I'm not in a dire emergency. But I don't want to leave it this way for an extended time period.

So, I was thinking of redoing the wiring anyway but I was going to get a small run of wire and practice with attaching the BNC connectors etc so I could get it right. Well I don't really have the time to practice now. So that is the only real problem I have, running the wire will be easy as its a warehouse enviroment so even running it over the offices is easy as we can just stand and walk on top of them. We also have a scissor lift so running the wire through the rest of the warehouse will also be easy.

So, how hard is it to attach the BNC connectors? Should I call a local CCTV installer and have them do the rewire, and if I going to have them out to do that should I just buy cameras and have them install them also. I havn't purchased new cameras yet. I am going to be adding a few new cameras and replacing the old ones. I was mainly doing it myself as our site is not a hard install and I like tweeking and playing with this kind of stuff. I built and setup the Geovision DVR and it was fun, got a little frustrated with some minor things but I enjoyed it. Just the BNC cabling is kinda scary considering a have no practice.

Thanks,

-Chad

get a twist on BNC, cut a few short pieces of cable, get some small cutters, and go at it until you get it perfect .. its not hard at all.

Rory, is twist on better than the crimp style? Are all bnc connectors the same, quality wise, or are some vendors better than others? Do you recommend a specific type of stripper?

Rory,

thanks for the tip, that was kinda going to be a secondary question I forgot to ask, what kind of BNC connectors, crimp, compression or twist on. I'll go ahead and order the cable and the BNC connectors and just sit down and practice till I get it right then start running new cable.

Thanks,

-Chad

CT it is like this a twist on will work fine for if you put no strain on it.

I am a crimp on type person I have my own RF Industries crimpers with interchangable dies $250.00 Plus extra dies for 2way radio connectors and I don't think it would be wise money for crimpers for a 1 time job.

If you do not have crimpers then crimp on connectors are out of the question because if you use anything else to crimp the connector then the crimp and spacing is off making for a bad connector. So you can use twist on's with no problem.

I can hang from my twist ons, so it really depends, both are good. Some crimp ons, note some, will be better for certain situations, especially outdoors. For your application, it wont matter which way you go though.

Go to

http://scorpiontheater.com/cpcamtechsupport.aspx

and scroll down until you see a picture of a crimp on, and a compression connector.

You can down load the pdf of your choice, or both for comparison.

For the crimp on, you can use those $10.00 tools that look like this...

http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_40988.htm?sid=DFEEB0996B7CC25A81FAC039B754C9D7&pid=1208

If you go compression then buy the best tool you can afford, and do not skimp even though it may be a one time use. Do you have a friend who is a cable installer for broadband/tv?

I have used crimp on, twist on, and compression.

Quick, easy, get in/get out, and cheap then I default to crimpon.

I would tell you to use a razor knife to cut the RG 59 rather than a tool that might cost you $25.00.

Compression might be a little more difficult unless you can afford to "waste" some fittings while you practice.

twist ons you can figure out with 2, or 3 tries.

Radio Shack, Lowe's, Home Depot all carry a decent strpper for cable and usually less than 25$. Takes a couple tries to get the handle on using, but works good.

Thanks for the tips. I think I know a guy who could do the cable runs for me, just remembered him because I'm going to see him tonite. Even if he won't be able to do the runs for me, if he is busy, he can probably show me how real quick and I also might be able to borrow a cable stripper from him if he has an extra he can spare.

-Chad

Never underestimate a good Twist-On BNC. If done correctly, they are very strong and the plus side? Reuseable, reuseable, reuseable $$$