mactheknife

Help choosing system needed!

Sorry if this has been asked before.

My business was broken into just before xmas. We are now thinking of having cctv installed. I would like a system that can be viewed over the internet by various staff.

Can anyone recommend a good system out there for about £50- £200?

Am i best having ip cameras?

Its all a bit of a minefield so your expert help would be very apprieciated.

Many thanks

Is there a risk the video storage device on-site could be taken if something were to happen again, that is are you looking to keep video in the store or have it recorded off-site?

You can probably get a low-cost system that might be ok, sure someone will assist with those systems.

Offsite storage. Dont see the point of having data onsite for it to be taken too.

Depends in the installation I guess. My DVR (home) is installed in a lockbox that I can jump up and down on all day and it won't move - bolted into the wall with 8 bolts right through the studs. Would have to cut the wall away to remove it, or cut the door off with an oxy torch... or I guess they could burn the house down.

Not trying to talk you out of offsite storage - just saying that you can protect the device itself against reasonable threats, assuming the burglar is there only for a short period of time and doesn't have time to go searching for the DVR. A burglar alarm with cellular link will help keep them from overstaying.

When i had the break in at xmas they were here for a good 2 hours. I need a system that will allow me to view anyone breaking in in real time so i can call the police. The alarm system we are putting in will call me when the alarm goes off but i dont want to call the police if its a false alarm.

When i had the break in at xmas they were here for a good 2 hours. I need a system that will allow me to view anyone breaking in in real time so i can call the police. The alarm system we are putting in will call me when the alarm goes off but i dont want to call the police if its a false alarm.

Ah. If the burlgars had 2 hours they could remove my DVR lockbox by smashing the drywall off the wall and cutting the studs with a saw. I get you now.

There's offsite storage, which is something I cannot adivse on becuase I've never done it (I'm just a home user).

Remote viewing is easier and generally most DVRs will wllow you to remote connect via the internet for live viewing. Ensure the DVR offers triplex or pentaplex operation (allows you to playback without having to stop recording) if you want to be able to playback remotely rather that simply view remotely. Broadband internet would likely be required.

I also have sensors around the house that will trigger a text message to my phone to prompt me to check the cameras remotely. They are independent of the alarm system. You may want to consider something like this (many DVRs will email on alarm events).

Thanks for the advice. Looking at myhome247 website at the moment (with a co.uk suffix). Also looked at the Grand IP Camera II. Anyone have any thoughts?