rpogge

PTZ mounted upside down to look UP a tall building?

Has anyone ever tried this?

I have about a 250 foot tall condo, we need to place a PTZ about 75'back from the building at about 10' off the ground, and have it be able to look all the way up top. I was thinkign of mounting it sideways or upside down, has anyone ever tried this? My concern is the motors or other internal parts not being designed to bear weight or operate under that condition when the camera is mounted that way that angle, thus damaging the camera in a short period of time ...etc etc ... ????

Thanks!

Ryan

Well, I have calculated that at full zoom on this camera it would need to be at about a 67 deg angle from horizontal to view the top floor at full zoom. so its not all the way sideways. still worries me though.

Ive benched several mini and full size PTZs for weeks on end upside down, (the units on the bench placed on styro blocks) in the menu switch on Pic Flip. Never had a motor or failure take place. However if you were to do this outdoors probs may arise with sun, water and other conditions distorting view. Perhaps you need to look at scanner type zoom cams (web IP and traditional) there are several on the market.

Have you seen Metal Mickey? It is a PTZ with 360 rotate and 320 degree tilt. About the same size as a dome. Made by Forward Vision. This should be ok looking up.

Metal Mickey (UK) aka Extreme Moondance, good choice but there are cheaper scanner/ptz alternatives for his application dependent on his budget.

Going to try a Panasonic WV-CW964 Mounted 65% from horizontal.

Is there such a thing as polorized dome covers or something to cut down on glare? The "smoked" ones don't realy do too much...