Nuttyprof

Wireless IP Cam via cell, satelite, means of transmission?

Does anyone know how we can transmit video from a self contained unit way out in the sticks (local power is available) - the video must be transmitted wirelessly by some other means and available on the net. This is for a client.

There is ONLY power at this location - no wi-fii so I am thinking cellular / radio, Satellite, etc. Any idea's? All price ranges considered...

Thanks in advance...

Do you have a clear line of site from the camera location to the recording location and what is the distance between the two?

In this instance it is an IP camera and we are trying to get the video on the internet.. So recording is not an issue. Thanks VF

I would go with a cellular modem (check cell signal at site first). You may need to install a dvr at the site to use the modem, It should work fine. You will notice any way you go that there will be some lag time between moving the camera and seeing the movement. It takes a little to get used too but once you get the feel for it it's not that bad.

That post was from a long time ago... But if you are still looking, Supercircuits has a small DVR that will interface with a cellular card and provide an optimized video stream(s) for cellular, while recording high quality on board.

Hope that helps

-Jason

You can use something like this Zyxel 2WG (it's only 300$ which is a lot cheaper then a something from Sierra Wireless)with a air card. I tried this setup with one of my Axis cameras and I was able to send pics from the camera to my FTP server but I could not remote into the camera because Cingular (at&t) blocks all incoming requests.

I talked to Cingular tech support and they never heard a product like the 2WG so maybe you will have better luck with Sprint or Verzon.

Please let me know how you get this to work.

I tried this setup with one of my Axis cameras and I was able to send pics from the camera to my FTP server but I could not remote into the camera because Cingular (at&t) blocks all incoming requests.

I talked to Cingular tech support and they never heard a product like the 2WG so maybe you will have better luck with Sprint or Verzon.

Please let me know how you get this to work.

I see the 2WG supports VPN. We have used VPNs to get around blocked ports in the past. You probably need a VPN to get around any streaming video clause AT&T has in their TOS agreement anyway.