Scruit

D1 or CIF for residential application

Which would you advise?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you advise?

• D1 @ 7.5 fps
    • CIF @ 30fps
    • Depends on how good the compression is, ie Is the D1 image that much better?
    • Depends on other factors

For a residential application, if you had to choose between 7.5fps per channel in D1 or 30fps per channel in CIF, which would you advise your client to use?

Your client wants to be able to use the video to help the police track down and prosecute anyone who breaks in. Each doorway has a camera where a person's face takes up about 25% of the image height.

Assume you cannot change cameras, and assume there is enough HD space for 14 days of D1 recording, which is acceptable to the client.

depends on the cameras, as well as the DVR.

The avermedia EB1304MOB in my car shows no appreciable difference between CIF and D1. I recorded a scene in both modes and took stills of both. After mixing them up I could not tell which was which. So I run in CIF mode on the car DVR.

I'll do the same experiment with my home DVR. It'd be nice to have full motion video on all channels, but not i the image is much worse.

I agree. I don't find any benefit on my Avermedia for the D1 setting. I normally set them at 30fps in CIF, the 1304, 1504 & 1704. Still get great video in CIF setting.

Well CIF at 320x240 is much less pixels than 640x480+ so the recorded video would be lower resolution either way. If the camera is low resolution already though then it wont be that noticeable, but then it wont be high resolution and all the fine details are left out.

When using the PC based and you change from 320x240 to 640x480 there is a big difference in the quality of the playback as well as the live video when zoomed to a full screen. Standalones can vary so much and half the time they say something is something its something else.

Have you looked at things like writing, licence plates, etc, in full view in CIF, compared to D1? and How many pixels do your cameras have (not TVL).

I did the experiment:

1) Set DVR to D1 mode, max framerate, max quality.

2) Drive past License Plate Camera (best indicator of detail)

3) Replay video, pause, capture, save single image

4) Repeat above in CIF, max framerate, max quality.

Result:

LP_Compare_D1CIF_public-1.jpg

Conclusion: I'm going to stick with D1.

I did the experiment:

1) Set DVR to D1 mode, max framerate, max quality.

2) Drive past License Plate Camera (best indicator of detail)

3) Replay video, pause, capture, save single image

4) Repeat above in CIF, max framerate, max quality.

Result:

LP_Compare_D1CIF_public-1.jpg

Conclusion: I'm going to stick with D1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would be nice if u post picture in original CIF and D1 res

Thanks

Thanks

Those are D1 an CIF taken from the CCTV... Not sure what you mean by 'original'..?

What size of lens are you using for the License Plate Camera? To get the entire car in a shot like that, you must have to narrow down a gate or something? Is that the camera the one on the front of your house? I tried to build my own design last year, but could not find a "happy medium" on the roadway, so as to get passing cars to stay in a certain path. Pretty good shots.

What size of lens are you using for the License Plate Camera? To get the entire car in a shot like that, you must have to narrow down a gate or something? Is that the camera the one on the front of your house? I tried to build my own design last year, but could not find a "happy medium" on the roadway, so as to get passing cars to stay in a certain path. Pretty good shots.

It's on a long gravel driveway that is only wide enough for one car. Right now the camera is focused on a point about 60' from the house using a 5-85mm verifocal auto-iris lens. Cars can sometimes pass by this point too quickly and result in a blurry image, so I'm going to move the 'killzone' to the end of the driveway where cars have to slow/stop as they enter/exit the drive onto the 55mph road. Hopefully the slower cars will result in a better image.

I still have problems with the lower contrast during the day (in the night image, IR illuminated, it plate is crystal clear) so I'm using two channels on the DVR (loop out from ch1 into input of ch2) and the ch2 brightness/contract settings are adjusted for better contrast.

Thanks

Those are D1 an CIF taken from the CCTV... Not sure what you mean by 'original'..?

----------------------------------------------------------

each pix "property" shows as 720x960

I am reading CIF, D1, MPEG4, MJPEG, but what is the difference??

Is D1 the same as Frame 720*480??

Explain please

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------

each pix "property" shows as 720x960

That's 2 720x480 images that I put into the same jpg image 480 x2 =960 . There was no quality loss putting them into the same image.

I am reading CIF, D1, MPEG4, MJPEG, but what is the difference??

Is D1 the same as Frame 720*480??

Explain please

MPEG4 and MJPeg are two different compression standards. My DVR uses MPEG4.

D1 and CIF are two resolutions. The exactl resolutions can change from one manufacturer to another, but D1 is approximately 720x480 or 640x480 and CIF is approximately 320x240.

Hey Scruit, can you post some video of the difference on your Youtube site? Would like to see the difference in motion. Thanks.

Hmmm. I'll have to figure out how to mask the plate like inthe pictures above using my video editor - or repeat the test.

Let me have a think about that.

Hey Scruit, can you post some video of the difference on your Youtube site? Would like to see the difference in motion. Thanks.

Hmmm. I'll have to figure out how to mask the plate like inthe pictures above using my video editor - or repeat the test.

--------------------------------------------------------------

emAvi----free ,simple, fast

--------------------------------------------------------------

emAvi----free ,simple, fast

The license plate crosses the screen at 45deg, so the 'mask' would have to move with the car.