WizCam

John from NJ

Hello all...

I've been skimming through this forum for about 7 months now every now and then and feel it's time to register and be part of this society of professionals.

I have decided to pursue a business in CCTV sales and installation utilizing my background as a satellite tech, tv broadcast and cable television professional over the past 18 years.

The last 3 years or so I've been doing odd jobs on the side in various low voltage installations for friends, family and even some friends of friends with a co-worker of mine. We were trying to break into the home automation industry, but it requires way to much R&D on the latest and greatest, and it is very difficult to keep up with installation techniques & vendor offerings when gear is changing, and some companies use propriety parts.

We received lots of CCTV requests, but my partner didn't want to do that, so we turned away that work. Eventually, we decided to snuff out the home automatin biz, and just keep working our regular jobs in TV. I still had the itch to do a biz, so I decided to do CCTV by myself, and so far I've left those clients happy with my solo work. I didn't really charge them very much .. basically just was having them pay a little bit over cost, and a few bills for my time. I felt I was learning, and we benefitted from each other. Them in the form of pricing, me in experience.

Now I want to step it up a notch. I've learned what to do and more than that ... what not to do. I really enjoyed reading some of your members' posts the last 7 months and feel my prospective clients will benefit from my increased knowledge base. I still need to learn more about some of the installation tools and CCTV gear that will enhance my productivity, and my client's final product. Seems like suppliers of CCTV gear, electronic tool suppliers want to sell you everything under the sun. I've been working with the basic tools that I have used in my TV career. I've been doing F-connectors and BNC cables for ages. The whole power supply thing for me with cameras is something new to me.

I know the whole purpose of CCTV is to provide the clients with piece of mind that they, their premisis, employees and love ones are safe and secure; and that should something happen, that they feel confident they have something to provide law enforcement with evidence to help them in their investigations.

I really have to give a shout out to Scorpion ... because his posts were not only animated and well written, I found them very informative. There are also a bunch of other people on this forum that really enhance the experience of me learning more about this industry. Thanks to all. I hope that I can also pass along some of my experiences and knowledge to others as I improve and gain more experience someday.

Thanks for the welcome Pegasus ..

Thanks also DVR man ... I'm in the Monmouth County / Ocean County area ... Haddonfield ... that is near Philly ... right?