BenR

Need DVR recommendation

not sure anymore they never used to make them, but I am not sure anymore, I think they just buy them, but made special for them..

I agree with hehder not many are used if any, but lots of cheaper less impressive stuff used to be sold but they all now sell geo.. like you said everyone sells it, hay Iw as one of the very first, back when inspector wiggum was one of the buttons.

fact is people liek to buy all the options even if not needed, hay I had a car with heated seats once, never needed here, but bugger it sounded good at the sale and was nice to show it off every now and then, mind you I could have bought a Hyundai.

This is true about all the features.

I miss inspector wiggum. We still laugh at the blinking eyes. Whenever we need a good laugh, we pull up the DVR with clip art. LOL

No offense

The other funny thing is I always hear "But whom needs these features" from people who don't have them, never from people who have them and they always seem to appear very quickly in the market after Geo releases them. they are smart, only way they can justify and keep their price is to make better software and increase demand, and best way to get money back is to make distributors fight for it, then it gets sold wiht low margin brionging down the price of the product and making it competitive.

Very clever buggers Geo, they are just about to list on stock exchange as well, extra money will make them more powerfull.. clever ol asians those ones.

mind you there ethics suck!

I have heard these guys are pretty loyal and they do do fast production of products, kida fond of them

but not loyal enough......

Distributors & OEM welcome ! SN-MDR1002/MDR10042/4 Channel Mobile Real-time Recording

System

Gregory, can you tell me what's the expected price range you have in mind for our Pentaplex 16ch Digital Video recording system DVR160 ? another words, we want to know what price is more reasonable for your market, we'll see if we could be any further assist for you.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,

If we list our customers with them, they will not sell to them. You don't always get this. I have seen them protect us first hand. We don't expect them to sell only to us. But we know that if we move a lot of product for them, they will give us a better price and we will continue to grow. We've made two trips to China to see them in the last 12 months.

I know, I know your company well, but they sell to anyone, but similar to Geo, not same price to anyone, I dont have any problems with any manufactorers selling to anyone as long as trade and they promise to keep pricing levels on quantity basis

Really? So will it save the port changes for each site so that you don't have to change the ports each time you connect?

It will ave it at DVR ned, and in router and for all apps, obviously web cam is slightly different. so need to add the extension as before, just means typing 2 extra numbers every time for example.. instead of 202.134.555.86 you would type 202.134.555.86:81

ok, understand that for the web site, what about the client side. Kodicom uses 9 diffrent ports for client to server communication. Does Geo only use one?

No Geo uses many per app, the difference is that you can chnage them to anything you want, think of it as having a house with many doors, you could go in the front door but you could also go in the side door, or you can place the door anywhere you want, basically you make the port you want on the DVR for each app and then set your router to this port, i would be surprised if Kodicom PC Cards did not offer this.. for example some ISP's will block port 80 as up traffic, this is designed to stop you hosting a website or broadcasting to take up bandwidth, you could easilly change your port to 81 instead, a further example is some of the ports used just for one app for example the web cam app by default uses these ports from memory

For example.. the port 80 allows direct web access, 21 provides FTP to web location, 6550 is for audio transfer, but you could easily change those ports to anything you wanted as long as at the other end on the remote software you change them as well.

be carefull though, some cheap routers do not allow you to use more than a certain number of ports so you can get caught out here, good routers allow you to make new port openings by way of making new routing rules, kind of like adding new doors to the house.

If you can not change the ports on a DVR, some standalones I am learning have this problem, then you will have complicated set ups when trying to put multiple DVR's on one network, for example if you wanted to connect to two DVR's behind one router and could not change them from the default port 80, the router would have no idea how to route to any particular device so you need to change one to port 81 and one to port 82, a common practice is to make the second device up 10 or 100 ports or 1 port, for example 80,6550,5550,4550 and 21 might now be 81, 6551, 5551, 4551 and 22.

Mind you that does make it a little obvious, but thats what firewalls were invented for right!!

I think this is all good info, but I think I am thoroughly confused as to what 16ch DVR I would get for home use. Most of what is mentioned is out of my price range. I guess that's why I was considering the Everfocus.

HiSharp 16 channel - $1000-1200 better quality video than the everfocus and better quality remote video.