surveillancePackages

Installer Question

How are you all quoting installs?

Are the customers charged by camera? and what is the general fee charged?

I know it may depend on each situation... but I'm just looking for general information... I'd like to start doing installs in my area... but have no idea what to charge in order to remain competitive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Matt

call a few other "installers" in your area and ask for a quote. this will give you a feel for your area market.

next you need to look at your competitors equipment. go door to door and ask, look, and listen.

time = labor charge

materials = markup

labor + markup = total install price

you have to understand your competition and the equipment they install before you can beat them. you might get away with cheap labor NOW but you won't last the long term. you need to beat them with cheaper labor and equal or better equipment.

"The quote" or "Estimate": understand this. Keep the overall price low. don't put "extra stuff" on the quote. No monitor, no battery backup, no NASA type camera's. KISS...........keep it simple stupid if you want, create a "Options" page and list those items there; camera upgrades, router, DVR upgrades, ect.

I can pretty much quote a install over thephone based on type of building and # of camera's. I don't do it that way, I just can do it. Always ask, listen, and wait to answer the how much question. I always ask for any competitors estimate..........."I'll beat the price". If they mention another quote, ask for it. If they don't wish to give it to you tell them to remove pricing and then review it.

when I first started I spent 6 months following my competition around and looking at the installs they did, how much they charged, ect. I then beat them by providing cheaper install prices, better equipment, and easily better professional installs. My competition gave it away by overcharging for cheap equipment and then they kicked themselves by installing it with glue and paperclips.

advertising? yellow pages only!

your first couple of installs can be fre or close to it..you need to invest in getting your name out there and the best way is to provide cheap installs with decent equipment right off the bat.........

your next problem is equipment........I spent 50k testing "stuff" and learning the biz my first year. I continue to spent approx. 10 -15k per year on keeping up with technology advances. I attend the ISC once a year and found that is a decent place to learn who is who.

Thanks for your response...

I've done installs for Cedar Fair Inc's amusement parks, but it was done as an employee.. and we mainly used... EverFocus DVRs...but I'm familiar with Panasonic and GE Security products as well.

I've got the market fairly understood as to what prices to charge for what equipment... . but as far as the installation goes... I'm lost as to what to charge...

Any starting out figures to give me a general idea of cost per hour for labor and cost per camera installed.. would be great.

I charge per camera when I do, dont do as many installs these days. Actually doing one with a client where he is helping and pays me by the hour, works out okay. Got to buy alot of different cameras to test them out and no headaches with warranty.

Another client, she pays me by the day, much more than I could ever quote her for, big home and lots of money so that works out well too, lots of Extreme CCTV Cameras.

As for everyone else, typically just a quote, by the camera, dependant on the camera type and the mounting location. The quote shows the parts list and individual prices, and then total materials, cost of cable, total labour and the total for the job. I always have the actual wiring quoted separately typically by an electrician (unless it is just a store where conduit does not need to be run for example). Sometimes add more such as Images and even plans that show the camera locations, depends on the cost of the job whether I do the extra work for that.

I dont own a brick and mortar business though.