Mattb

GeoVision in a Windows Domain??

Has anyone run Geovision systems in a Windows domain? There are instructions listed to start GeoVision as a service, so the log on would not be necessary. I would think that the Remote Viewlog would work to allow remote connections from within the domain. There are a few posts that sort of imply some folks are running a Geovision in a domain, but nothing conclusive. If anyone has, did you start the Geovision as a service? Do you have any remote connection issues? Thanks

I have a few clients that insist on adding their Geovision system to their domain even though I try to persuade them not to.

In some instances we run tweakui (free from microsoft) to allow automatic login. In other instances, the client's IT dept. took it upon themselves to use a registry hack to allow automatic login.

Thanks,

Is anyone starting the Geovision system as a service in a domain (or even just as a service)? I am doing the automatic login with the GeoVisions in a workgroup presently using the Start>>Run>>Control userpasswords2 feature.

Almost the video retrieval/review is over the network. for some reason, the Remote View log retains the last password used, which creates some accountability issues and grounds to start another thread.

Thanks again

I have had clients who have put their Geovision systems in a domain to the detriment of the system. I don't think this has anything to do with actually being in a domain but some of the group policy settings they were using to lock down the machines prevented the GV system from functioning properly.

We had this at one branch of a hospital system; at all other locations everything was fine (machines not put in domain) but at this location someone on IT staff had it in their mind the DVR *had* to be on the domain and they kept breaking network functionality.

As kao said I try to convince them not to put the system in a domain... think of a geovision system as an appliance instead of as a PC, and use physical security and/or lock down the system using the geovision keylock or other methods to prevent people from using the system for other than DVR use. If they were using a standalone DVR it could not be on the domain.

That said if it "must" be part of a domain and they are using group policy to lock down their stations and the DVR doesn't function properly in the domain, the solution is that their network admins should create a policy for the dvr machine(s) that does not break the DVR... or take the machine out of the domain.

Starting Geovision as a service is an interesting idea for machines that are accessed over the network only, it should work well.

I have had similar experiences with people joining the GV system to a domain, and then having issues with Group Policies.