dubwiser

Cat 5 for video and power?

Can I use the same run of cat 5 for power as well as video on a single camera? I've heard yes, but have not tried it yet.

This is for 12 v cameras.......50 ft. max. runs. I am connecting 1 pair to the baluns (passive) and the second pair to an individually fused 16 ch. power supply.

thx.

dubwiser, certainly. A pair of UTP balun can just satisfy your need. 12v and 50ft should have no problem. If you don't want power, one cat5 can run 4 cameras. If you want, pls PM me, I can try to show you some detailed info.

Regards,

Dove

I also have the same problem. I ran 5 sets of wires for surveillance (1 RG6 / 1 Cat5e) and just bought the camera setup and the camers need power. What's the best way I can run power?

I also have the same problem. I ran 5 sets of wires for surveillance (1 RG6 / 1 Cat5e) and just bought the camera setup and the camers need power. What's the best way I can run power?

Try not to increase the able length more than 50'... unless if you want to use power supply with variable voltage control - this is available from various source... this way you can increase your voltage at the source to maintain constant input voltage for your camera... dependent on your camera voltage input, 24VAC or 12VDC (or sometimes there are cameras that come with 9VDC), you can use these power supplies to extend the cable lengths more than 50' (normally no more than 200' dependent on the capability of your variable power supply).

Hope this helps.

Try not to increase the able length more than 50'... unless if you want to use power supply with variable voltage control - this is available from various source... this way you can increase your voltage at the source to maintain constant input voltage for your camera... dependent on your camera voltage input, 24VAC or 12VDC (or sometimes there are cameras that come with 9VDC), you can use these power supplies to extend the cable lengths more than 50' (normally no more than 200' dependent on the capability of your variable power supply).

Hope this helps.

Do you meen inches or feeds?

dubwiser, certainly. A pair of UTP balun can just satisfy your need. 12v and 50ft should have no problem. If you don't want power, one cat5 can run 4 cameras. If you want, pls PM me, I can try to show you some detailed info.

Regards,

Dove

----

Hi Dove,

I am new at this forum, Can you PM me ( I cannot send any PM right now to any body) how to do above. I mean is it possible to use same UTP cable to attached one/two camera and power?

Thanks

Iffi

Sorry to be so naive at this. What do you mean increase the able length? If you're talking about each run, I would assume that each run from can be up to 100 feet.

I guess the main question is, how do I actually send power over the wire? Do I need to buy an adapter?