habarraclough

Using a PC screen as a monitor

I've been using a portable 7" DVD Player as a Service Monitor when up on a ladder installing cameras, but it's crapped out and needs replacing. I have a "Dell Mini" laptop that I rarely use, and figure that would work great if I could only find a way to make the PC (USB) accept the BNC output from the cameras somehow.

Any ideas anyone?

"I wish I was a firefly, -

I wouldn't be so glum,

'Cos how can you be grumpy

When the sun shines out your bum?" - Anonymous

Any sort of USB video-capture device will do. There are tons of "TV tuner" adapters out there for ~$100 or less. I used to use an Adaptec GameBridge that originally cost only $30, and it worked quite well (alas, it doesn't work with Windows 7 on my new netbook).

I know there are some portable service-type monitors but I'm not sure if they are battery powered or require a power outlet. The screens I've seen are between 5 and 7 inches. You might be able to find something like that for less than $400.

I know that capture cards cost around $200 if you wanted to modify an old pc. Not sure if they work on laptops though.

I know there are some portable service-type monitors but I'm not sure if they are battery powered or require a power outlet. The screens I've seen are between 5 and 7 inches. You might be able to find something like that for less than $400.

I know that capture cards cost around $200 if you wanted to modify an old pc. Not sure if they work on laptops though.

I've found that the best and cheapest service monitor is a portable DVD Player (the same thing you buy to keep the kids quiet on a road trip), available for $60 to $120. They usually come with an "A/V Cable" which has a BNC (male) connector. I've been using one for years. And the added bonus is you can watch a movie while you eat lunch.

I was just wondering about the availability of a cheap BNC to USB adaptor, but I guess the 75ohm to ?ohm conversion makes them expensive and bulky.

Any sort of USB video-capture device will do. There are tons of "TV tuner" adapters out there for ~$100 or less. I used to use an Adaptec GameBridge that originally cost only $30, and it worked quite well (alas, it doesn't work with Windows 7 on my new netbook).

Thanks. I guess it's cheapest and easiest to go and buy another DVD player on sale at BestBuy or WalMart. $60 or so, and unlike the laptop it's no really big deal if it gets knocked off the ladder (again).

I've found that the best and cheapest service monitor is a portable DVD Player (the same thing you buy to keep the kids quiet on a road trip), available for $60 to $120. They usually come with an "A/V Cable" which has a BNC (male) connector. I've been using one for years. And the added bonus is you can watch a movie while you eat lunch.

That's been my experience as well (although I've never seen one where the A/V cable had a BNC on it - they all go to the standard yellow/red/white RCAs). Being a DVD player, they also work as a signal source for testing lines, displays, and inputs. I even made a custom DVD with a number of test patterns on it. My last DVD player, I got off Craigslist for $30.

The only drawback to most portable DVDs is that they tend to have a low-resolution screen (320x240 up to around 400x240 - basically half-resolution from the DVD content). My co-worked used an Archos media player for a while that had a high-res (800x480) screen that looked great... thing even had a wrist strap, so it was "wearable". Unfortunately he broke the "DVR dock" connector on it so he could no longer input video to it

I was just wondering about the availability of a cheap BNC to USB adaptor, but I guess the 75ohm to ?ohm conversion makes them expensive and bulky.

No such thing as a "BNC to USB adapter". Same thing, you want to use a USB capture device. Most have an RCA input, so you just use a BNC-to-RCA adapter.

Here is my contraption that cost me under $35 Brand New.

I bought a flip up Rear View LCD 3.5" Screen From China. The thing takes 12V DC power, while the screen is flipped down, it will be protected when rattling around in your pocket or tool bag, Cost Shipped from China: $23

1859188_DSCF9417-1.jpg

Simply push the button to make the 3.5" screen flip up:

1859189_DSCF9418-1.jpg

But Sean, How do you power it? Well I just bought a cheap rechargeable 12Volt batter and charger from China for $12 Shipped!!! I then glued that sucker on the bottom of the LCD unit.

1859190_DSCF9419-1.jpg

Now I will say the cheap battery is starting to poop out on me and doesnt last long anymore, so if I were an installer who would be using this thing all day, I would probably buy a better quality battery, but the flip screen is still tickin and a tockin. The whole thing fits in your pocket.

Of course you will need to make sure you get the RCA to BNC adapter but who doesnt have those lying around?

My favorite was my now-defunct 10" DVD player - it had the reversible screen (turns around and lays flat), high-capacity built-in battery, and really nice protective case with two straps that are designed to attach it to the back of a car headrest, but which work equally well to secure it to the top of a ladder, the railings of a manlift, or even to dangle it safely from a camera mounting bracket. It had an SD card slot and USB port where I could load up some flash memory with all my test patterns in video or JPG format, and also ran off 12VDC, so I could power it off my test battery (7.5Ah gel-cell also used to power cameras for testing) if I forgot to charge it.

Alas, it just stopped working one day... appears to be a problem with the power board, but we couldn't trace it down to a component, so we couldn't get it running again.

this thing's pretty slick:

http://www.cabletronix.com/pdf/cctvmeters.pdf

It'll power enough cameras @ 12vdc to do a standard (~12 camera) install - using it's power supply to power the camera while you point/focus/help the owner decide angle. Beyond that, you'll probably plug it in while not in use.

It also has a basic network cable testing system, just a pin-out (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc).

there's another version that incorporates a VOM but really, I'll go to my tool bag & grab my fluke.

Not bad for $289.

I've destroyed several other pointing tools including the eyeglass monitors (nice), & view finders. This is a workable solution.

Yes, it has pattern generators so it can be set at the camera end.

I also have a wrist mounted one of these & it's a POS. This one is tried & true.

Thanks. I guess it's cheapest and easiest to go and buy another DVD player on sale at BestBuy or WalMart. $60 or so, and unlike the laptop it's no really big deal if it gets knocked off the ladder (again).

First day I used my new Coby DVD player (Flip screen like a tablet) I dropped it and cracked it .. LOL. DVD part of it is finished ... cover never closes properly .. biggest problem is the charging though and the lack of any real battery time .. it wont work until its charged, unlike a netbook, dies quick and then cant use it ... Hard to handle .. well no handle .. and cheaply made .. Ive dropped my netbook dozens of times and its still intact.

They have some reaaaalllllyyyy cheap USB 4 port capture devices on Amazon, seen one for $6 if you dont mind spending that on a gamble that it might just work.