tukes2

Can I get the CCTV to show up on Fios TVs?

I have a two-camera CCTV system at my home and I would like to tune any TV in my house (3 TVs right now, probably 4 soon) to a set channel and see the cameras' feeds. I have Fios. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It would be very much appreciated.

I have a two-camera CCTV system at my home and I would like to tune any TV in my house (3 TVs right now, probably 4 soon) to a set channel and see the cameras' feeds. I have Fios. Can anyone tell me how to do this? It would be very much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Fios... how does the signal get from the DMARC outside on your house to your TVs? Do they modulate the signal digitally onto the RG6 coax to distribute on existing cabling in the house?

There is a fiber optic connection from the pole to the house that carries TV, phone and Internet. From there, it splits into a telephone connection and coax. The coax feeds the modem/router and also feeds the TVs, which all have their own coax connections from existing home wiring and have to have Verizon tuner boxes. You cannot get a picture on the TV without a Verizon box (although I think you may be able to get a tuner card for TVs that can receive them, but I'm not sure of that).

Does that answer the question?

You would need to use a video modulator in between the termination box and the splitter (assuming the splitter isn't internal to the box).

The other catch is, your service needs to provide a "hole" for the modulator - a channel that carries no other content. If you go through your channel guide, this will often show up as a blank channel named "Security Camera" or something along those lines.

Of course, that all assumes that the Verizon set-top box supports analog video at all.

First thing you might want to do, is contact Verizon to ask if their boxes will allow the insertion of a CCTV camera. Since this is a function normally relegated to apartment or condo towers, you might have to talk to someone in business support, rather than residential. If the boxes are fully digital and don't support this sort of analog signal being inserted, that will probably end your quest right there.

I believe they are fully digital, unfortunately. I did call Verizon and talked with someone (not from the business division) who was unable to help. They didn't really seem to know what they were talking about.

Thanks for the help. I'll try to get in touch with the business department over there and see if they can help. Seemed to me that they would have to have some sort of a solution for customers in apartment buildings like you said.

It might help to start off with something like, "You know how, in apartment buildings, they can tune a channel on the TV and see the security camera? Well, I wanna do that at home with my FiOS..." - might help them clue in a little quicker to what you're after.

Anyone ever used a digital CATV modulator for an HDTV tuner on a plasma/ lcd? Surely they exist, just never seen one...

Could be a pretty neat solution to stream 1080p to multiple TVs...

I bet MarkerTek has em.

Anyone ever used a digital CATV modulator for an HDTV tuner on a plasma/ lcd? Surely they exist, just never seen one...

I bet MarkerTek has em.

Anyone?

other option is to run a separate cable to each TV, from the CCTV System, if the TV has RCA input (A/V). Or if its a PC based DVR and the TV has VGA, etc could go that route.

other option is to run a separate cable to each TV, from the CCTV System, if the TV has RCA input (A/V). Or if its a PC based DVR and the TV has VGA, etc could go that route.

Duh! But I want something more practical for residential jobs! And HD!

Modulators used to be a dime a dozen... still are... Where's the 1080P technology? Should I run to the patent office?

Duh! But I want something more practical for residential jobs! And HD!

Modulators used to be a dime a dozen... still are... Where's the 1080P technology? Should I run to the patent office?

i was talking to tukes2

I bet MarkerTek has em.

What is source of your signal ?

HDMI/ DVI/ VGA, component...

In this day and age I would forget using modulator

Whole industry going IP

You know what I mean

Ton's of HD IP streamers ( HD Network Player) with any input u want

just my 2 cents

If I cannot get the signal inserted into the Fios channel lineup, my alternative is to run the second line like you suggested. I'd just prefer to not have to do that. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

HDMI/ DVI/ VGA, component...

In this day and age I would forget using modulator

Whole industry going IP

You know what I mean

Ton's of HD IP streamers ( HD Network Player) with any input u want

just my 2 cents

Not ideal when you have multiple TVs... sucks that you'd have to get multiple decoders. Plus you'd still have to pull new cable... assuming there would range limitations for wifi.

Could get expensive and messy...

VGA baluns and a VGA distribution amp would be better, but still not ideal IMO.

Not ideal when you have multiple TVs... sucks that you'd have to get multiple decoders. Plus you'd still have to pull new cable... assuming there would range limitations for wifi.

Could get expensive and messy...

VGA baluns and a VGA distribution amp would be better, but still not ideal IMO.

Not really expensive

small media center with capture card (analog input for his camera)

plus 3 SD network streamers

u can easily get for about $500-600

yes u have to run cat5

but even with VGA baluns cable have to be run

and media center open so much of other option

his choice

There are digital modulators.

Your hair will stand on end with the price.

Your customers will refuse the installation.

The smartest way to set this up is to use an A/B switch type system.

When one TV wants to see the cameras you are switching between two source materials. You will have your coax input with TV material, and you will have your modulated signal on the other side. The signal of choice will run down the coax to the tv.

The "switcher" is controlled by IR through the coax back to the switcher at the head end.

You will need an A/B switch for each TV you wish to switch.

You can put Hometheater feeds on these also. When it is movie time all TVs can be switched to a DVD (or other options).

http://www.channelvision.com/index.php/vmchk/AFFINITY™-Digital-Cable-Combiner/View-all-products.html