evnldr

Lorex 1080P NVR from Costco (NVR firmware Question)

for the cost.. costco is the best price.. when u add the camera cost.. the 400ft cat 5 and the 2tb hdd.. I paid 850 I think. I may sell the nvr and just run blueirs.

In my case I don't need the NVR and if I get the old domes I don't consider that a value. I can buy bulk cable and terminate/run it myself. I think I'd rather get a better quality camera (assuming that the Lorex cameras from Costco are inferior) and not have to deal with selling the NVR and potentially having 2 lame duck domes.

I sold the cable as I have 2k feet of cat6 And I dislike the domes from what I have seen the bullets are nice. the dvr is nice ID like it to do 3MP but it's ok for what it is.

Ok, got it up and running.

Will explain later, in case it helps anyone else.

Please do, as it may push me off the fence on this deal.

Some things are better, some things are worse.

Firmware version V2.3.3, Build 130620

Encoding version V1.0, Build 130509

One issue, kinda big I think. The POE-LAN doesn't work correctly, it doesn't provide data to the cameras.

In the local UI via VGA, in the System Maintenance-Network Detection screen, only the LAN Ethernet port is listed, can't select another port.

Which leads me believe that this might not be the correct firmware for this NVR.

After setting the POE IP address to something like 192.168.254.1 (The default Internal NIC IPv4 address), I hook up a laptop to that POE Switch, I can't ping the NVR's POE IP..

If I plug a Ethernet cable from the POE-Switch into my LAN, it goes crazy, stepping on each others toes until it just stops working, my whole LAN.

This means that the internal POE switch can not be used, no plug and play cameras can be used.

Using an external POE switch, allows me to use the system as usual, adding the cameras manually.

Flashing this firmware on the NVR caused it to lose its admin account. So I had to request a serial reset code from Hikvision.

After about 20 codes, I got one that worked. It took that long because they needed me to supply the date for their code generator.

But... if I can't log into the NVR, how can I see the date needed? Is it todays date, tomorrows? Is the date even set correctly?

Well, using the SDAP/iVMS application, the NVR device will show up on the online device list, there is a column called 'start time'.

The date listed was usually 1970-01-01, sometimes twenty years in the future.

This is the date you need to give tech support.

The serial number they need to use is NOT the serial number of the device, but a shortened version of it for example.

If the serial number of your device is LNR2800923423490893423402394890384FGB, then they need to use 0923423490893423402394890384FGB.

Ignoring the first 6 digits.

Make sure in their screen, that they enter this correct.

Is it worth putting this Hikvision firmware on this Lorex NVR?

Well, the NVR now supports the full 3MP (2048x1536) square images from the cameras, as long as you put version 5.0 of the firmware on them.

They are listed at 30 fps too. A wider angle view point.

The web interface lets you edit camera information now, before it was display only.

The web playback interface forgets what cameras you selected on the screen, so each and every time you go back to view the playback, you need to select and place the camera, very annoying.

But losing the internal POE switch is a big problem. I see the readme.txt notes on the latest firmware, they did fix some issues, maybe they broke them too.

I have doubts to whether this Lorex NVR is the http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7294 Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P model.

If you're going to flash this firmware, I'd do a few things before to prepare. First flash all the cameras to v5.0 firmware.

Delete the Web components from the Windows PC that you use, don't want different devices using different versions as editable fields get mixed up on the webpages.

In the NVR, reset to defaults, disable the NTP time server connection, set the date to 1970-1-1.

After flashing, if you can login with the default admin and 12345 password on the local VGA connected UI, perform a factory reset.

I found logging into via the web port before I did this, crashed the NVR and caused it to reboot.

After a factory reset, never crashed again and was fully web accessible.

Some things are better, some things are worse.

Firmware version V2.3.3, Build 130620

Encoding version V1.0, Build 130509

One issue, kinda big I think. The POE-LAN doesn't work correctly, it doesn't provide data to the cameras.

In the local UI via VGA, in the System Maintenance-Network Detection screen, only the LAN Ethernet port is listed, can't select another port.

Which leads me believe that this might not be the correct firmware for this NVR.

After setting the POE IP address to something like 192.168.254.1 (The default Internal NIC IPv4 address), I hook up a laptop to that POE Switch, I can't ping the NVR's POE IP..

If I plug a Ethernet cable from the POE-Switch into my LAN, it goes crazy, stepping on each others toes until it just stops working, my whole LAN.

This means that the internal POE switch can not be used, no plug and play cameras can be used.

Using an external POE switch, allows me to use the system as usual, adding the cameras manually.

Flashing this firmware on the NVR caused it to lose its admin account. So I had to request a serial reset code from Hikvision.

After about 20 codes, I got one that worked. It took that long because they needed me to supply the date for their code generator.

But... if I can't log into the NVR, how can I see the date needed? Is it todays date, tomorrows? Is the date even set correctly?

Well, using the SDAP/iVMS application, the NVR device will show up on the online device list, there is a column called 'start time'.

The date listed was usually 1970-01-01, sometimes twenty years in the future.

This is the date you need to give tech support.

The serial number they need to use is NOT the serial number of the device, but a shortened version of it for example.

If the serial number of your device is LNR2800923423490893423402394890384FGB, then they need to use 0923423490893423402394890384FGB.

Ignoring the first 6 digits.

Make sure in their screen, that they enter this correct.

Is it worth putting this Hikvision firmware on this Lorex NVR?

Well, the NVR now supports the full 3MP (2048x1536) square images from the cameras, as long as you put version 5.0 of the firmware on them.

They are listed at 30 fps too. A wider angle view point.

The web interface lets you edit camera information now, before it was display only.

The web playback interface forgets what cameras you selected on the screen, so each and every time you go back to view the playback, you need to select and place the camera, very annoying.

But losing the internal POE switch is a big problem. I see the readme.txt notes on the latest firmware, they did fix some issues, maybe they broke them too.

I have doubts to whether this Lorex NVR is the http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=7294 Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P model.

If you're going to flash this firmware, I'd do a few things before to prepare. First flash all the cameras to v5.0 firmware.

Delete the Web components from the Windows PC that you use, don't want different devices using different versions as editable fields get mixed up on the webpages.

In the NVR, reset to defaults, disable the NTP time server connection, set the date to 1970-1-1.

After flashing, if you can login with the default admin and 12345 password on the local VGA connected UI, perform a factory reset.

I found logging into via the web port before I did this, crashed the NVR and caused it to reboot.

After a factory reset, never crashed again and was fully web accessible.

Hey JoeyJoey I plan on flashing my NVR firmware to Hikvision now that I just got a new 4MP camera that won't work in the lorex NVR because of the password requirements. Also I want to take advantage of the 4MP. How do I contact the right people at hikvison with my serial number and date to make this upgrade go as smooth as possible?