rory

Ultimate Stand Alone DVR

Ok, lets posts a wish list for features that you would like to see in a stand alone embedded DVR - no Operating System requests/comparisons please, keep it all to features

Ill start:

Multi-Site Remote Software

Remote Site Full Featured Recording

User Upgrade of additional video inputs

External Bays for installing multiple additional hard drives

External AND/OR Internal DVD/CD/Flash/HDD for back up of video OR image

OEM SDK of EPROM Menu System & Remote Software

OEM SDK of Local Connection/Control Software

Web Server Seperate using JAVA

Multiple Audio Inputs - Record Seperate of Video but only record on Motion detected from Video from selected inputs

Auto PTZ Tracking in EPROM software

DVR Linking - eg. programming one DVR affects all

Multiple Video Outputs - eg. VGA, SVideo, RCA, etc

Built in Wireless LAN

Built in Wireless Video Reciever

IP Camera Support

. ..........

I know you can come up with alot more than that thomas Im counting on you and DVR on this one ..

we need a great texas stand alone DVR to knock all the others off the list!

need to start a site for a project: http://www.theultimatedvr.com/

Maybe a manufacturer will see it and put it to work..

Alright:

Flexible PTZ support. Should be simple to add protocols.

Internal Security able to be turned on, any change requires a username/password.

Built in UPS.

Points of failure should be field replacable by a tech. (Hard drives, power supply, mainboard, ect.)

Bluetooth support

USB PnP Compliant for use of thumb drives

All ports changable.

A non ugly UI. (Okay a pet peeve of mine, why is it that just about every interface in this industry is going for the "Worst Interface Ever" award?)

A Mux out port for tape backup.

Mind if I jump in?

Expandable beyond 16 inputs. Perhaps with networkable remote stations

Multiple PTZ protocols at the same time, by input

All OS information stored in on board memory chips, so all drives could be replaced without losing OS, settings, etc

Email capability, with different events sending to different addresses (service techs don't need the alarm emails, head of security doesn't need to be alerted by email when cam goes down)

Remote adminstration

I'll second the built in UPS, and add the ability to stop the drives before the UPS completely dies (to protect HDD's)

Motion Tracking with PTZ camera

The primary AND secondary outputs having the SAME abilities, programmable

Alarm Input triggers, and relay outputs to seperate monitoring device (security system, etc) to inform of problems or events

remote keyboard, able to control multiple DVR's via linking

Ok, that's just a few of what I had. Question: can we suggest manufacturers as a way of giving examples of features we like with their particular product? Might help us with visualizing certain concepts. eg, I'm not sure exactly what "network aware" means

Network aware just means thats that DVR can be configured to play nicely on a network. Things like being able to change ports, ip addresses, support for DHCP, ect...just the little things that make it easy to intergrate a system onto a network.

Well, I got my 2 cents,

how about one that supports a modem, but with such a good compression rate that even thru the modem, you could see all cameras in realtime. It would help during the sale, telling the customer that there is no need for the extra expence of a broadband connection.

Kalatel has that, and Teleplexer. ($$$ though). Speed depends on the phone lines though. Plus the quality can only be so much with Phone line transmission, in otherwords not as good as network. Ive used them a couple times here. Our phone lines suck though!

rory

Network aware just means thats that DVR can be configured to play nicely on a network. Things like being able to change ports, ip addresses, support for DHCP, ect...just the little things that make it easy to intergrate a system onto a network.

Ok, cool, thanks! That males sense.

While I'm here...

A remote viewer for a PDA or pocketPC .

Michael

i can make one for the Kalatel DVR is someone would send me a second hand Pocket PC! ? I have the developer software for the DVR and Visual Basic for Pocket PC, just nothing to test it on.

Actually, they should have that themselves by now, I guess they catch up to it sometime.