rory

GeoVision Demo Software - Your thoughts

First this is free stuff, nothing for sale, and no malware or adware included. Its just an idea for a project.

Just a very simple thing to give you an idea of what I am thinking about .. Should work fine on all XP machines. Let me know what you think.

This is ofcourse mostly going out to the dealers but there are some end user geo enthusiasts also that might be interested in a project like this.

Perhaps called a Virtual DVR? Could load motion jpegs from recorded files the admin imports into the program (stored in folders, AVi to BMPs to Jpegs) or just play the AVIs or WMVs inside the windows. Playback (Video Log) could ofcourse just be the EzViewLog program as mentioned in my Free Software thread, or could make a demo for that also so it will work in other resolutions.

Download and just run:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/GeoDemo.exe

(requires VB6 runtimes, it extracts and registers the sstab control if not installed on the users PC already which is default).

Here is an ISO for Virtual PCs

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/geo/GeoDemo.iso

Only Exit Button and Settings, System Configure, actually do anything. But its just a visual, nothing can actually be changed ofcourse - yet.

Im still working on other software but had the idea so put something together really quick to see what could be done.

Edited by Guest

EDIT: I added 2 other resolutions, 1024x768 and 1280x800 (laptops).

These are just resized images of the 1280 one and just for example (except the 1280x800 one I edited alot also to make it wide screen while still keeping the Geo look). Quality and all could ofcourse be alot better. Lets you choose your resolution when it loads.

Updated file above.

Edited by Guest

Worked fine on my laptop, 1024x768 resolution tested.

Download is reasonable size if you have broadband, did not take to long, and its a good idea for people who are unsure about what sort of features geo offers.

Its one thing to look at a spec sheet, but much better to be able to navigate around and see what is actually available, so a good idea...

Cool, yeah I was thinking of even making a mini version for the Eee PC which runs 800x480. Now that would be cool .. I just setup a couple of them the other day with XP SP2 and ordered one myself after that.

Anyway, yes lots more that can be done also, the size of the file is due to the Bitmaps that are being used, 3 of them, and uncompressed. Not the ideal method and actually in this case I might switch it back to Jpegs for now as thats the original format I got the image in (from a thread here), Bitmaps would be used for higher quality, as are all the Geo Skin files. BUT, perhaps for portability we can loose some of that quality and go for size. Would also have to skin it all, not just include the files in the program which was done in this case just for an example of the idea.

The System Configure window I actually had already created for a remote admin app I was working on a couple years ago, and never completed Anyway so had that form and just stuck it in there quick, made the menus up very quickly and that was that. Oh yeah, I appended the SStab Control as a default XP doesnt have that, some other programs may install it though but my program checks for all that and extracts and registers if needed. Self Executable to a degree ofcourse is required - I say degree as it still needs the VB Runtimes but those are included with XP (Unless you remove them with NLite or other). And dont need .Net installed! Since it is just VB6

The only other thing that worries me is the copyright stuff. Seeing as the image files are originally from Geo, I wonder how that plays out? Geo are you reading this? Andy?

Incase they are reading it, this would ONLY be for a demo of what the DVR would look like, no actual DVR purpose, will never be able to operate a DVR card, it is just images and such. A Notice would be included on each Image that it is only a demo, or something like that (ideas?).

I wish Geo would do something like this then I would not have to bother

Anyone know VB6 or other and want to get involved?

Rory

Added an ISO image incase you want to test it inside Virtual Box or Virtual PC. Just mount as CD/DVD and it will then be accessible by clicking on My Computer and the CD/DVD Drive.

Rory

I worked with VB6 but got visual studio 2005 started to study and work with it now i see 2008 is comming out , I think i will stick to learning VB 2005 though