replanet

Camera selection?

I'm seting up a cctv system on my warehouse before the alarm system. So far I have a geovision 800 16 cam card on a dedicated pc. I have 3 Sanyo VCC-3972 with rainbow lenses one 2.8 and two 8 mm. I would like to add 5 more cameras

Sanyo specs

VCC-3972 12VDC 1/3" Hi Res

• Vivid resolution 470 TV lines • High sensitivity, 2 lux at f1.2 lens • Power supply 12V DC (included) • Internal sync/external sync, PLL 2:1 interlace • Backlight compensation and electronic iris • S-video output • CS/C-mount type (adapter included) • Lens optional

The sanyo cameras are great in the day, but see nothing at night. My budget is around $300 per camera with lens. I have the outdoor enclosures already so that is not a problem. Since I'm a rookie and make mistakes in placements and lenses I would prefer a 3.8 to 8 mm varifocal lens, it would give me more flexibility and i'm more interested in overall picture more than person recognition.

The main purpose of the cameras is to catch employee theft more than outside theft or vandalism. Since I recognize my employees easier than I would a stranger facial recognition is not needed. I need two more for inside the warehouse and 3 for the outside. I would prefer day/night cameras, but would consider getting 3 of them B/W to achieve the budget needed. Of the 3 B/W I would place one indoor and 2 outdoor. The warehous is pitch black at night the outside is light by post lights, but not enough for my color cameras.

thanks

Can you set up some motion triggered lights in the warehouse (like "Home Depot type" typically used in the front of one's house... like on the driveway)? Off by day, motion triggered by night (all kind of automatic you know?)

I cant find that camera on Sanyo's web site, but from the specs sounds like a high Lux(light) camera. If you want to stick to Sanyo, which will do the job, you will want to look at the VCC-4594 or the VCC-4794 (lower lux). I have used the 4594 for IR Pitch Dark apps using the Extreme CCTV Infrared, they work great - even without IR they area great Day Night cameras.

However, you need some kind of illumination. I know nothing of the rainbow lenses, but ive used tamron,Computar, and Fujinon on them with great results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

VCC-4594

* Over 520 TV Lines

* Built-in DSP

* Minimum Illumination Down to 0.03 Lux (B/W Mode) and 0.6 Lux (Color Mode) at F1.2

* Intelligent Light Sensing Mode Control to Prevent Color or B/W Hunting

* SuperSmart BLC with Multi-zone Analysis

* External Control for Color to B/W Switching

* Operates Under Non-Visual Light Infrared Lighting Conditions

* Internal Sync and 24V AC Line Lock Power for System Application

* Internal Setting for Video and DC Type Lens Switching

* Three-year Warranty

VCC-4794

* Over 520 TV Lines

* Built-in DSP

* Minimum illumination down to 0.01 lux (black & white mode) and 0.45 lux (color mode) at F1.2

* IR Cut Filter Removal System

* Intelligent light sensing mode control to prevent color or black & white hunting

* SuperSmart BLCâ„¢ with Multi-Zone analysis

* External control for color to black & white switching

* Operates under infrared lighting conditions

* Dual Power 12V DC/24V AC

* Three-year warranty

So I bought 4 sanyo 4594. I will use 3 outside and 1 inside the warehouse. What I would like to know now is what specific recomendations of varifocal lens to get. The cameras have better specs with a 1.2 lens and I see 1.4 more common. What should I use for outdoor and for the indoor. If I do decide to use IR light would that make a difference in the lens selection?

I was planing on buying one lens at a time so that if I make a mistake its not like 4 mistakes.

If just Day Night without IR light, then anything from F:1.2 and lower ... f:0.95 is nice ...

If you want you can buy an IR Optimized lens one time. That way it will cover you if you decide to use IR later on. IF cant afford that, check out something like the Tamron F:1.4 Aspherical lens, works well with IR, i used it for several years with little to no focus shift.

BTW, if going to use IR stay clear of standard telephoto lenses such as 5-50mm lenses ... focus shift is immense ... and unless using IR if zoomed in telephoto you loose alot of light ... dont recommend for Day Night Apps.

Basically if no IR and you want really low lux, get a Fujinon F:0.95 lens, and focus it in low light and BW mode on the camera. Will see in almost pitch dark then.

The Sanyo 4594 is a great camera. Just installed 8 prepackaged units with outdoor enclosures. I would post a picture but I don't know how/rules...

I was looking at the fujinon YV2.8X2.8LA-2-S or the YV2.8X2.8LA-SA2. They seem like the same lens except one is auto irs and the other is manual. I've always just gotten the auto iris, but don't know on the 4594 cameras. Thanks for all the help on walking me through it.

Auto Iris if you can ... with IR not a huge issue but with general Day Night sure.

For what it's worth, the VCC 3972 is quite a nice little camera.

It's been discontinued for probably two or three years now, but I've still got a couple knocking around somewhere .... now where did I put them ....