fas

Wharehouse Suggestions

I have a possible job at a wharehouse, and was wondering what type of camera would be best to use. I have not seen the site yet, but I am guessing it is pretty large as it is a trucking transport company. This is a very general question because I have not yet met with the owner to see what he wants, I was just wondering what types of cameras work best in wharehouses. The largest job I have done was a 10-cam system, dvr, with outdoor day/night bullet cams, and indoor smoke detector cams. Depending on what he wants and where the system will be set up will determine pc or dvr, but for now I just would like to know a general idea of what cameras most of you use for wharehouses. Thanks.

armour domes protect the cams..................

may want to use a PTZ with contact alarms. Owner will get actual PTZ capabilities and during non-use you can have it set for a specific "home" pic and at night it will move to the contact that is tripped to catch that action.

box types in obvious protected areas...........

I have never set up a ptz. I am aware of what they are, but I need to do some reading on how to set them up and operate them. Where can I find this info?

Also, b/w or color armor domes?

Buy the PTZ from the right guy and he'll help you with everything you need to know - I promise

getting your ptz to communicate between it and the controller is the only andvanced( little bit) . Besides that setting up is extremely easy.

Domes or Box cams in Housings. I prefer the box cameras if they are set up away from anywhere that they can get hit, just depends on the warehouse. The Box cameras image will be much much better than any dome. Domes if they have tp be mounted lower down, and maybe some BW GE Brute cameras for wall mouted also. Extreme has some Wall and Corner mounted Cameras that have built in IR .. consider lighting also, as when they get broke in at night ..PTZ is useless unless you have someone there all the time operating it.

There isnt one type of camera used for any application, every app differs.

domes have come along way Rory.there are great domes at great prices that do everything a box does................just my simple humble opinion.

technology is a great thing.keeps getting better

I do and have used these great domes, yet they still do not match up with a decent Box camera and Full Lens. Just saying if you can use a Box camera, use it, the Image will be better, if not, then a Dome will suffice, but you will need to spend on a high end Dome to get a decent image. A dome is not always the answer, there are other products out there as well.

Quality Rates like this including Features, Image Quality, Light Handling - from best to worst.

#1 - Box Camera

#2 - Dome Camera

#3 - Bullet Camera

though a cheap bullet is often better image quality than a dome ... not light handling or features though

There's only so much you can do with technology.

my 2 pennies ..

Would the b/w whiz kid domes you suggested for the bar also be usefull in the wharehouse? Would you stick to b/w or is color an option. I guess it depends on the lighting.

Just dont use the WZ30's, at least not the 420TVL versions ... the WZ46's are so much better though. Yes depends on the lighting ... Id use BW or Day Night and Throw up either some Motion Lights or Infrared .. really whatever you quote will depend on their budget.

Would the z46's be the most cost effective armor dome, and can they be mounted both horizontally and vertically? Thanks.

we've got a large account with a distributor of pool products. they operate over 200 large warehouses (~20-40k sq feet) and use bullets in the warehouse and domes/boxes at the counter.

we've "experimented" with multiple setups, and they've been most pleased with the bullet cameras. they've been rugged enough to deal with the harsh warehouse environments, and cheap enough that they can put plenty around. i wouldn't recommend the p/t/z, as they're an expensive option and despite the "coolness" factor, you're not going to get much use out of them in the long run.

granted, i have to agree with rory regarding quality, but truth be told it's a matter of customer preference. in this case, internal theft deterrent is the primary motivator for the cameras, so they want lots of them around and the quality only has to be good enough to recognize an employee.

my advice, make sure to figure out the owner's intent beforehand.

just thought of something else. we typically include one camera with audio in the counter area. we recommend the customer not record this feed for legal reasons (audio recording creates all sorts of liabilities), but the manager likes to be able to hear what's going on from his office. this can alert the manager of important customers, potential issues, and employees just horsing around. nice little bonus and not much more from a cost consideration.