antdickens

multiple monitors

Has anybody used these vga baluns to send vga down shield utp cat5 cable? are they any good? what distances?

What if i needed to go to more than one monitor, how could i share the vga signal from a geo system to multiple monitors around a building?

baluns work. distances are noted in the spec of the balun (passive and active) and also noted in multiple threads in the forum. use a video spliter for multiple monitors. You can send up to 4 video signals down one Cat5 cable.

Just to clarify, i would like to send the vga signal from the geo system, ie the computer monitor view to 3 other TFT computer screens around a building.

tia

We use a device called a VGA extender, it consists of a local unit (which will support 2 monitors) and a remote unit (which will again support 2 monitors)

It can extend the display up to 150 metres using CAT5 cable.

These are active units that come with a psu each.

They support video up to 1024 x 768 and there is a version with or without audio. The remote unit has a gain control with 4 settings depenant on the cable length.

Costs about £60.00

We use these regularly & they work very well.

We use a device called a VGA extender, it consists of a local unit (which will support 2 monitors) and a remote unit (which will again support 2 monitors)

It can extend the display up to 150 metres using CAT5 cable.

These are active units that come with a psu each.

They support video up to 1024 x 768 and there is a version with or without audio. The remote unit has a gain control with 4 settings depenant on the cable length.

Costs about £60.00

We use these regularly & they work very well.

What make/model is the VGA extender? Is it a combo KVM Switch as well?

The computer part of our business is closed today (Good Friday) sd I need to find the brand from them.

It is not a KVM switch only a monitor (+ audio if needed) extender.

Belkin do a KVM extender that we have used successfully.